Odd letter from new owner of a car

Options

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    facade wrote: »
    Lots of us older folk still refer to shops (and pubs) by their names from many years ago, especially if the [STRIKE]nature of the business[/STRIKE] apocryphal anecdote hasn't changed.
    Typo corrected for you...

<grin>
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Typo corrected for you...

<grin>

Doesn't make it any less true, I've been turning left at the Elephant & Castle in Wolverhampton for over 30 years. I'd still direct you to turn left at the Elephant & Castle, and it was knocked down in 2001 :D
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    facade wrote: »
    Doesn't make it any less true, I've been turning left at the Elephant & Castle in Wolverhampton for over 30 years. I'd still direct you to turn left at the Elephant & Castle, and it was knocked down in 2001 :D
    Would you then be surprised when I failed to turn left, and got hideously lost?
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    also it isn't comfortable thinking that the previous owner has access to your car.
    Should be fine as long as you don't give them your address.
    Oh, wait...
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Would you then be surprised when I failed to turn left, and got hideously lost?

Yes, everybody knows the Elephant & Castle :D:D
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Is it as hideous as the one in South London?

I have a variant on the stamp one... A couple of years ago, I bought a book of stamps in a gallery gift shop and the assistant said "I don't know why we have these - nobody sends post any more do they?" while standing next to dozens of postcards and greetings cards.

On the original topic - it would never occur to me to track down a previous owner, I would have been badgering the seller for any keys/handbooks etc. For a start, the address on the owner history isn't necessarily current. So up to the OP if they have something to send on or just shred the letter - nobody is going to know.

I have once used Facebook to track someone down - the people we bought our house from, in order to send on some important post. But I knew them (albeit briefly) and knew that they were a councillor as well so I could identify the right one and send a polite message. They wouldn't be able to do it in reverse without messaging everybody in London with my name.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • Piggywinkle
    Piggywinkle Posts: 134 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not actually helpful in any way, but this reminds me of the time my friend received an impeccably hand written letter from an older gentleman informing her that they had recently broken the door handle on their car and that, because she was the last owner (before she traded it in 18 months previously) she should send him some money to cover the cost of repair :)
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    John Menzies? Have you travelled back to the 90's?

Sorry, we still think of WH Smith as John Menzies :o
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • IanMSpencer
    IanMSpencer Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    John Menzies? Have you travelled back to the 90's?
    Ever considered that they might not be in England?
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,646 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not actually helpful in any way, but this reminds me of the time my friend received an impeccably hand written letter from an older gentleman informing her that they had recently broken the door handle on their car and that, because she was the last owner (before she traded it in 18 months previously) she should send him some money to cover the cost of repair :)

Some years ago my father bought a car from a dealer. Everything OK no problems with car.

Over six months later father gets a phone call from a rather agitated man who was the nephew of the car's previous owner, an elderly lady. Apparently his aunt never cancelled the car's insurance and nephew was expecting my father to repay his aunt!!

Father patiently but firmly explained to nephew that vehicle insurance doesn't transfer and the new owner of any vehicle has to arrange their own insurance!
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure