Changing from dependent to independent

Options
My child is at university and about to start their third, and final, year. Once again we have been asked to provide our income details so the loans can be calculated.
However, my child is 25 and I don't feel that they should be depending on us any more to fund their education. We have supported in the past but have other children and commitments and can't really afford to pay out for another year.
Child has lived independently from us for a number of years now so I believe they should be claiming as an independent student and they will be over 25 on the first day of term. Is it easy to change the status?

Comments

• Taiko
    Taiko Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Will be automatically changed to independent, as over 25 on the 1st September.
  • foolofbeans
    foolofbeans Posts: 385 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you Taiko. I don't think the change will be automatic though as child has asked us to declare our income to student finance so they can process the loan for the upcoming term.
  • Taiko
    Options
    Might just be a glitch in the system. Whoever does the assessment at SFE should change it appropriately.
  • Starrystarrynight1
    Options
    I believe the student will need to be 25 on the first day of the academic year, rather than the first day of term but you could ring SFE to check. If the year has a start date of September, October time, then the applicable date would be 1st September.

I used to be Starrystarrynight on MSE, before a log in technical glitch!
  • Taiko
    Options
    I know this forum is quieter these days, but I still wasn't expecting an echo!
  • foolofbeans
    foolofbeans Posts: 385 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Starrystarry night. It appears that SLC agree with you so we have to subsidise a 25 year old to study! How messed up is the system?!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure