Hacker warning now laptop just displays Lenovo logo on start up

Options

Comments

• bluesnake
    bluesnake Posts: 1,460 Forumite
    Options
    What I would do is boot off live usb stick with Linux mint on it. copy off all my wanted files off, check the drive is working, install a/v on mint, update the virus pattern, and use it to scan my hard disk.. You can also do a disk check too
  • bsod
    bsod Posts: 1,225 Forumite
    edited 3 October 2016 at 12:50AM
    Options
    movinghelp wrote: »
    holding the off button and took out the battery.
    held down for how long, with power lead in or out, clean shutdown, hybrid, suspend, hibernate, or off

press (and continue to press) the power button until the machine switches off

press the novo button on the left hand side to get to the bios/boot/recovery menu

otherwise switch on with a usb flash drive inserted, bootable one if possible
    Don't you dare criticise what you cannot understand
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Try taking battery out again, this time for longer. Also is it possible that the LAN socket got damaged by plugging the wrong thing into it?
  • movinghelp
    movinghelp Posts: 276 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 3 October 2016 at 11:13AM
    Options
    I'm sorry, sure I'm being an idiot but I don't understand some of the advice. I can't see a lenovo button on the left? I have no idea what a caddy or a linux mint is. Can try and get these things but as I'm in Aus I'm not sure where to go.

I don't think it was plugged in but could have been. The battery was taken out for a week. The button was held down till it the laptop switched off then when we tried to turn it on a few minutes later we just got the screen with the logo.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    just so you know, the message you heard was a specially crafted webpage using javascript to make it difficult to close down.
    It is unreletaded to the issue you face now aside from the fact that it made you hard close your machine , which did cause the issue you now face.

What is being suggested above, is for you to remove the battery, and the power cord, and then hold down the power button for at least 30 seconds.
    This will drain any residual voltage from the capacitors in the machine.

Try and boot after you have done that -see what happens.
  • Fightsback
    Fightsback Posts: 2,504 Forumite
    Options
    movinghelp wrote: »
    I'm sorry, sure I'm being an idiot but I don't understand some of the advice. I can't see a lenovo button on the left? I have no idea what a caddy or a linux mint is. Can try and get these things but as I'm in Aus I'm not sure where to go.

I don't think it was plugged in but could have been. The battery was taken out for a week. The button was held down till it the laptop switched off then when we tried to turn it on a few minutes later we just got the screen with the logo.

The simplest way forward is get yourself a USB stick (8GB or greater) and try to repair the install as indicated earlier, specifically options 2 & 3

https://www.infopackets.com/news/9681/7-ways-repair-or-factory-reset-windows-10

Do you have access to another computer where you can download the WIN 10 iso and create a bootable USB drive ?
    Science isn't exact, it's only confidence within limits.
  • poppellerant
    poppellerant Posts: 1,936 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    It could be that your harddrive has failed or maybe has physical defects (bad sectors). But I suspect that the sudden power down has corrupted it.

If the harddrive has completely failed, then you probably won't be able to recover your data without the use of a data recovery company However, if the harddrive has physical defects, a diagnostic tool might be able to mark these bad sectors as unusable and you may be able to recover some of your data. If the harddrive has simply become corrupted, you may have some corrupt files but the likelihood of data and OS recovery is higher than the previous situations.

I recommend that you follow Lenovo's own advice, here:- Machine hangs at Lenovo Logo when it turns on. As you follow the steps, you are eventually led to diagnostic tools that can diagnose your hardware and harddrive. You will need access to a Windows computer and a blank CD or spare USB stick.
  • movinghelp
    Options
    Thank you, unfortunately I've tried pressing f1 rapidly but still nothing happens.
  • bsod
    bsod Posts: 1,225 Forumite
    edited 9 October 2016 at 3:07AM
    Options
    https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/b40_b50_ug_en.pdf

if it applies to your machine, see pages 16 (10) right side view, 29-30,32 (23-24,26) one key recovery, 36-37(30-31)
    Don't you dare criticise what you cannot understand
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    Press Fn (and whilst holding it down), press F2 as soon as the Lenovo Logo appears on the screen...

You want to get into the BIOS Setup screen. If that doesn't work, try Fn + F1.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure