What happens next?any advice appreciated

Options
Hi there,
I was contacted by Robinson say debt collectors last year saying I owe them £2409 for a barclaycard debt! This is not my debt but strangely I did have a barclaycard debt with them many years ago which I was paying £15 a month until I reached about £500 left.i then moved and got very sick and to cut a long story short life piled on top of me and I never paid anymore.
The debt that they are saying I owe is a completely different account, a different card number and reference number to my old debt with them as I still have correspondence.
I contacted national debt advice and they said I could've been a victim of fraud and to log it with the police which is what I did.i then sent them the template letter asking for s copy of the credit agreement which must be produced within 12 working days as I need to know what's going on! They wrote to me saying they would put the account on hold and would contact whoever about getting a copy of it.it has now been well over that time limit and I haven't heard anything so I was wondering what happens now?any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Either nothing, or they send you a copy of the agreement, which may be a reconstituted copy without a signature.

For future reference if someone contacts you about a debt you do not recognise, send a prove-it not a cca request. This thread explains:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2607247
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,953 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    lottiex wrote: »
    .I then sent them the template letter asking for a copy of the credit agreement which must be produced within 12 working days as I need to know what's going on

Hi,

The 12 plus 2 days, are just guidelines, they are not set in stone.

It will take about a month for them to get back to you, as they must request the paperwork from the original creditor, the problem you may have is that this may not be your debt.
    If the same thing happens again, take the advice above.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure