Second bathroom......or not?

Options
phoebe1989seb
phoebe1989seb Posts: 4,452 Forumite
First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
We are twenty months in to a renovation of our current house and plan on selling when the work is completed next year.

It is a quirky property comprising an original 1850s three storey (plus cellar) main house, with Arts & Crafts style two storey extension. To take advantage of the view, virtually all of the twenty-odd windows and six doors face onto the garden. Each end of the house has a staircase.

The older section currently comprises -

Cellar
Ground floor - utility, WC/cloakroom, kitchen
First floor - bedroom, bathroom, separate WC
Second floor - two bedrooms, one of which has a tiny space (with window) currently fitted with a basin only

The 'newer' section currently comprises -

Ground floor - breakfast room, living room
First floor - master bedroom, study

The one large-ish bathroom (approx 13' x 8' 9) serves the four (double) bedrooms, but it is an awkward layout as the bathroom has a door at either end and is the only means of accessing opposite ends of the house whilst on the middle floor, leading as it does from Victorian landing to Arts & Crafts study. Both doors are lockable and we rarely have guests, but it is not ideal!

Speaking to neighbours and local EAs, we get the impression that many buyers here (we're not from this area originally) expect any four bedroom house to have two bathrooms - in fact one potential purchaser refused to view our house because it didn't, instead going on to buy a nearby property that did - so from a resale POV this would be desirable......

But - our target market (despite being a four bed, 2000 sq ft house) is likely to be empty nesters, such as ourselves. The house has a lot of stairs and the bedrooms are spread out over different floors/parts of the house. I know when previously selling a six bed Victorian house with mezzanines, buyers with young kids were put off by this.

We plan to reconfigure the current bathroom anyway in order to a) incorporate the separate WC and b) create a new corridor so the bathroom is not a pass through from one end of the house to the other. This would still leave us with a similar size space although the current large sash window in the bathroom overlooking the garden would end up in the corridor and we'd be left with a tiny bathroom window overlooking the lane.

We can hopefully also add a loo to the small space with basin currently on the second floor which would give one of the two bedrooms up there an en suite loo/basin.

However, we could also split the newly reconfigured bathroom into two smaller rooms - one with bath, basin, loo and the other with shower, basin, loo - accessed off the newly created corridor.

The resulting two rooms would each be quite small. One would not have a window, although it could have borrowed light from corridor window.

We're not looking to add value - although increasing saleability would be good - so in these circumstances is it better to retain one 'family sized' bathroom, or have two much smaller ones? I'd be interested in other opinions please :D
Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed

Comments

• missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is there space to add a shower to the cloakroom?
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,814 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    More bathrooms. I'd expect two in any four bed house. Seems quite large for empty nesters but if they want that many bedrooms I don't think many people expect to share a bathroom, even with occasional guests.

I think it's especially important if the house is rambling or split over floors.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Hoploz
    Hoploz Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    Options
    People definitely do expect more than one bathroom these days. Even many two bedroom flats are built with ensuite to master and a main bathroom as well. My mum lives alone in one of them and unfortunately still has two bathrooms to clean!

You're a bit higgledy piggledy but as a general rule you need a bathroom on each floor where there's a bedroom. And a wc on any other floor as well. Ideally an ensuite to the master bedroom, so two bathrooms if there is another bedroom on the same level.

I've got an odd layout here where the master is downstairs with large ensuite, two bedrooms upstairs both have ensuites meaning my kids both have their own bathrooms. And yet we find we are having to reinstate yet another bathroom which was converted to a study by a previous owner, as the other third bedroom upstairs is left with no access to a bathroom at all - it's too awkward to expect a guest to go through the kid's bedroom to the bathroom, esp if they need the loo in the middle of the night! So we will end up with 3 upstairs bathrooms plus 4th downstairs as well as downstairs wc as well! But it's just the way it's laid out.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,814 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I agree, Hoploz. If it were my house, I'd be looking for a master ensuite and one bathroom per floor of bedrooms.

I don't think I would live without an ensuite at all! First world demands. :o
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • brightontraveller
    brightontraveller Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    edited 8 October 2016 at 10:02AM
    Options
    If your gutting the property then put pipe work in for bathroom/s but not bathroom/s Allows opportunity to add one with relative ease, is far cheaper (for you), You can tell potential buyers plumbing there they can add one if they wish or you can add it before they buy if it’s a deal breaker ?

If you price accordingly discounting the cost of bathroom , Bonus of being cheaper than all others,Also if they believe a bathroom adds value they think they’ll increase the value of the house immediately, Personally having sold quite a few properties I’ve found new kitchens bathrooms etc rarely make the money back and your taste may not be others or add to its appeal as much as being cheaper does ?
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,094 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have never thought of an ensuite as a necessity.

However you definitely need another bathroom, not necessarily to increase the house value but just to get possible buyers through the door.

Anyone with a family knows how long certain family members spend in the bathroom!

For example
    Dad - likes to play words with friends and contemplate life while on the throne
    Mum - likes to luxuriate in the bath, plus exfoliate strange areas of her body
    Daughter - make up, hair washing, hair dying, hair styling
    Son - no idea, rather not know
  • Hoploz
    Options
    Son - bath/shower remain untouched, toilet like a black hole of doom, basin covered in toothpaste

That's how my son's bathroom seems to work anyway!
  • phoebe1989seb
    phoebe1989seb Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 October 2016 at 2:49PM
    Options
    Thanks so much for taking the time to make suggestions - all your thoughts and ideas are very helpful :D
    Is there space to add a shower to the cloakroom?

Sadly, no. It's a tiny room (4' 6 x 3' 2) with sliding door (not original) that currently has loo and small corner basin.

The house is a bit rambling, which we like ;) Not everyone's cup of tea though and it would definitely benefit from some rejigging as well as more 'facilities', lol!

I said our target market was empty nesters as houses in this area tend to be out of reach, price-wise to those with young families. Neighbouring properties tend to be owned by retired professionals/those with older kids.

Our last few houses have had three bathrooms and up to four loos, so I appreciate the need for more - it's just that being a very quirky period house (considered a cottage by some as that was what it was originally built as - and it is named "******** cottage"), I wondered if you could get away with just the one........from all your responses it seems not!

Originally we had planned to stay here forever, so with no thoughts of resale we intended to turn one of the two top floor bedrooms into a bathroom, but that would decrease bedroom numbers to three and imho would devalue the property. However, apart from the aforementioned proposal to add a loo in the space (3' x 3') off one of these bedrooms where currently there's just a basin (and window!), there is no other conceivable way to get a bathroom - or shower room - on the top floor :(

In an ideal world we would convert the current study (11' 1 x 8' 4 plus recesses and staircase) into an ensuite to the master bedroom, but this space is actually a landing in the newer end of the house and as such has the secondary staircase entering into it. I don't think partitioning it off would work - plus there is no plumbing at this end of the house.

We actually use the designated master bedroom as an additional living room as it has great views and a balcony ideal for evening G&Ts :D

If I could find a way to post up the floorplan I would but I have no link to the property details (it's not showing on RM/Zoopla for some reason) and I'm not techy enough to post up a drawing if I do one :o

I do like brightontraveller's idea of putting the plumbing in place for a second bathroom without actually doing the work, btw....

What are your thoughts please on having two bathrooms - one would actually be a shower room - of the following sizes in a four bed, 2000 sq ft house/cottage? -

9' x 5' and 9' x 7' (the latter will have a corner taken out as there is currently an airing cupboard with boiler that we don't want to relocate) - this is what we'd get if we divided up the current bathroom.
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • Hoploz
    Options
    Those sound fine to me. Sometimes it's better to have a roomy shower room than a cramped bathroom. My last house ensuite was 8' x 6' and made a lovely shower room with offset quadrant with integral shelving. The main family bathroom was a similar size but had a shower over the bath for the kids.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Do people !!!! more these days requiring more toilets??

Even an average 3 bed semi will have a bathroom, en-suite, and a downstairs cloakroom.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure