rules for new style esa

Options
Can someone confirm my understanding of the rules for new style esa/SSP.
You get SSP of £94.25 for the first 28 weeks.
You then go on to ESA.
For the first 13 weeks after that you get either £73.10/£56.10 depending on how old you are.
After that you go either into the support group or the WRAG and get £111.65 or £73.10. You go into the support group if you cannot do any work, but the WRAG if you can do a bit.
The support group lasts for ever and is never means tested but for the WRAG it lasts for 1 year and after that, do you go onto UC or income based ESA?

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Snowbird wrote: »
    Can someone confirm my understanding of the rules for new style esa/SSP.
    You get SSP of £94.25 for the first 28 weeks. SSP is paid by the employer if you meet the criteria.

You then go on to ESA.

For the first 13 weeks after that you get either £73.10/£56.10 depending on how old you are.

After that you go either into the support group or the WRAG and get £111.65 or £73.10. Before you are placed in a group you will usually have to go for a face to face assessment. This does not often take place for some time - months. during this time the claimant would continue to receive the assessment rate.

You go into the support group if you cannot do any work,You are placed in the support group if you meet the support group descriptors or meet the special regulation where to work would mean a danger to yourself or others.

but the WRAG if you can do a bit. You would need to meet the WRAG descriptors and score a total of 15 points

Or you could be found fit for work

The support group lasts for ever The support group continues unless you are reassessed and placed in WRAG or found fit for work

and is never means tested Paid pensions May be used as income and deducted from the ESA

but for the WRAG it lasts for 1 year Unless reassessed and placed in support group

and after that, do you go onto UC or income based ESA?[/QUOTEIf you meet the eligibility requirements

Answers in blue.

To be honest it is far easier for us to help if we know the full facts about the claimant as someone could be entitled to new style ESA or SSP and UC if they have housing costs/children and meet the income and savings eligibility tests.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 9 December 2019 at 4:14PM
    Options
    Additional points:

You do not 'go onto' new style ESA automatically. You have to claim it and will only get it if you meet the qualifying NI contribution conditions. You can claim in advance of your SSP ending of your employer has given your form SSP1 but will not be paid ESA until your SSP entitlement has ended.

You cannot get income based ESA (unless you are already getting Housing Benefit with a Severe Disability premium included in our entitlement).

You can get UC. This does not have to be after the ESA, in many cases claimants will be eligible for UC as well as ESA. They can claim UC while getting SSP. If people are not excluded by savings and have no other income they will be entitled to receive some UC while on SSP. It is recommended to claim UC asap if you will have an entitlement because this will start the WCA process and if found to have Limited capability for Work and Work Related Activity claimant will be getter LCWRA element in UC six months earlier than they could be placed in ESA Support Group.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Snowbird
    Snowbird Posts: 123 Forumite
    Options
    calcotti wrote: »
    Additional points:

You cannot get income based ESA (unless you are already getting Housing Benefit with a Severe Disability premium included in our entitlement).
    So essentially, no income based ESA now. Only UC?

I am trying to summarise the rules for a friend so that they know what income protection is required,
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    Options
    So essentially, no income based ESA now. Only UC?

I am trying to summarise the rules for a friend so that they know what income protection is required,

Correct. Income based ESA has been replaced by UC so new claims are not possible (excepting very limited circumstances as outlined in my previous post).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Snowbird
    Snowbird Posts: 123 Forumite
    Options
    How does the new style esa differ from the old style?
    Was the old style means tested after 1 year if you were in the support group?
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,963 Forumite
    Options
    How does the new style esa differ from the old style?
    Was the old style means tested after 1 year if you were in the support group?
    New style ESA and the old Contributions based ESA are the same. The only difference is with New style ESA there's no income related top up. Both were only paid for 1 year unless placed into the Support Group, where it's paid for as long as you remain in that group.
  • KarenD1973
    Options
    I started claiming new style ESA from October 20th when my company sickpay finished. I had my assessment on the November 27th and am still awaiting my decision but I do have a copy of his report and he did tell me at the assessment he we would not be recommending me for work and recommended that I be placed in the LCWRA. I can also apply for universal credit to top it and with my husband earning on average £300-£350 a week I could still get around £25-£35 a week
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure