2»

Comments

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 December 2019 at 11:25AM
    Options
    Barny1979 wrote: »
    They said Christmas Sun, typically the sun isn't up at night.

Being able to see it and being warmed by it are two different things.

17 degrees during the day isnt great at all and will translate to a frankly cold 8 degrees in the evenings and at night when you're out moving about going for food and maybe a bit of music in a bar thats going to be unpleasant - coupled with the fact that Benidorm on average gets 9 days of rain in a typical December so you may well get rained on

That may be your idea of a "Christmas Sun" holiday, but it wouldnt be mine, particularly given the Canaries will be averaging 22 degrees during the day and 14 to 17 degrees at night for not much more cost or effort.

Wouldnt dream of doing mainland Spain in December personally.
  • CEON44
    CEON44 Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Definitely Canary islands.
    I started out with nothing......And still have most of it left:p
  • guiriman
    guiriman Posts: 525 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    +1 for Canary Islands, we went to Lanzarote three years ago and it was warm enough to take a dip in the sea. This year we're heading to Tenerife (Jet2 + AirBnb) for a week pre-Christmas. Look carefully at the dates, flights on Christmas Eve are usually a lot cheaper than other dates
  • ATC111
    ATC111 Posts: 82 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A friend has booked 17th to 27th December in Puerto del Carmen, Lanzarote for €950 flights, accommodation and transfers
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    Options
    I used to work with someone who hated the winter. The first year I knew him, he took the family to cape town at Christmas. The second year, they went to Rio, the third winter to Argentina. Then he went bust.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • motorguy
    edited 10 December 2019 at 1:18PM
    Options
    I used to work with someone who hated the winter. The first year I knew him, he took the family to cape town at Christmas. The second year, they went to Rio, the third winter to Argentina. Then he went bust.

It is a problem with going away over Christmas - its a lot more expensive.

Even in the Canaries we found last year prices were all x2 compared to what we could have paid mid december or mid jan for flights, accommodation, car hire.

To rub salt in that wound, there were loads of people / large families about too, when its normally otherwise quiet over the winter.
  • guiriman
    guiriman Posts: 525 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    It is a problem with going away over Christmas - its a lot more expensive.

Even in the Canaries we found last year prices were all x2 compared to what we could have paid mid december or mid jan for flights, accommodation, car hire.

To rub salt in that wound, there were loads of people / large families about too, when its normally otherwise quiet over the winter.

As with anything flexibility is key. If we were able to go a day earlier and come back a day later we'd have saved £350 on flights, but I could get the earlier day off and don't want to arrive back late on Christmas Eve :(
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    large families.[/QUOT

It’s a fortune to take a larger family anywhere - even Mac Donald’s.
    Don’t worry, kids, you can go abroad when you’re big, and by then you’ll be able to do whatever you want without your mother and me to annoy you.
    That’s what I tell mine anyway.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • motorguy
    edited 10 December 2019 at 4:35PM
    Options
    guiriman wrote: »
    As with anything flexibility is key. If we were able to go a day earlier and come back a day later we'd have saved £350 on flights, but I could get the earlier day off and don't want to arrive back late on Christmas Eve :(

Yes last year we ended up on the most popular (read expensive) one on the way out and on the way back. We paid a fraction over £1,000 for the flights instead of £400-600 on other flight dates.

I think we went out Sunday 23rd Dec and back on Wed 2nd Jan, but they were the dates that suited us most as it maxed out our holiday time, relative to our available time off work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure