whos your energy with

Options
Hey guys

just moved into a new build property and its currently supplied by british gas but the rates im on are high to say the least.

Been on the usual comparison websites and edf and avro energy are coming back the cheapest. Ive ready the last few pages of the avro thread on here and seems quite a few people are unhappy.

whos your energy with and how do you rate them? id like a hassle free way to upload meter readers preferably by the app and accurate bills no estimated ones

Thanks

Comments

• MovingForwards
    Options
    BG for gas, standard meter, offered me their best tarrif and it would save me about £0.43p per year (yes, 43 pence), my bills are only £16pm.

BG for electric, pre pay meter as that's what was fitted when I took the flat on. Put about £28 a month on it.

You can make your own consumption as cheap, or expensive, as you want.

Mine is a 2 bed, ex-council, 1960's concrete flat in Scotland. Heating goes on if I'm really cold and having jumpers / blanket isn't keeping me warm, at most two months of the year and only for an hour.

Hot water is on-demand, used for a bath, wash, washing up etc.

Electric includes the hob and oven, I mainly use the hob, with occasional Sunday roast a few times a month, shower is used every day, light is only on in the room I'm using, everything (except fridge, two freezers and cooker) get switched off and unplugged when not in use.

Just to give context of low bills and usage.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I am with utility point but ends Jan 2020 so looking at moving as rates have gone up fair but in a year seems cant find much cheaper if I switch modest saving of around £40 I have done 3 comparisons with different sites.
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There's only one way to find out ! Give Avro a whirl and select a fixed tariff with no exit fees. If you like them, that's fine. If not, or you find a better deal (either with them or somebody else) then you're free to jump ship.

The website is simple but efficient and I had no problems. I only left because I'm a rate chaser and Yorkshire Energy were slightly cheaper. They're also great.

Avro weren't the fastest to refund the remaining credit but that's not unusual and they didn't break any rules. YMMV of course, but it seems a risk worth taking.

Just be aware that with a new build your comparisons can't be accurate: your usage is unknown so you'll need to be diligent with meter readings to make sure your payments are keeping up and that your tariff remains competitive.
  • slacky1230
    Options
    I’m taking the estimated usage with a pinch of salt and focusing on tariff rates. Had a search on mse energy club and people’s energy and Yorkshire come up with good rates. I’ve googled both and they both seem highly reviewed
  • RelievedSheff
    Options
    We bought a new build earlier this year which was also supplied by British Gas.

We decided to stay with them but change to their cheapest tariff at the time.

We didn't really know how much energy this new house would use compared to our previous 1930s property but estimated it would be about the same.

It is actually turning out to be much less. We are currently paying £61.50 per month with £30 for electricity and £31.50 for gas for a 3 bed detached house which is about £30 per month less than the old house.

We have built up quite a credit balance since April when we moved in and I dont think we will use it all over the winter so our Bill's may be lower come next year when we have a full 12 months as a comparison.

With us not using a great deal of energy the savings from switching suppliers are minimal and we prefer to use a well established company who wont just shut down next week leaving us in the lurch!

We are quite happy with the BG customer service and although the website has a few glitches when it is working it is simple to follow and informative.
  • Talldave
    Talldave Posts: 2,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Symbio for electric- crap website, spelling errors on bills, and you need a degree in maths to understand their billing. But they're cheap and a flaw in their convoluted billing scheme means I can get a free day's electricity each month.

Zog for gas, cheap and no complaints.
  • RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 11,388 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Talldave wrote: »
    Symbio for electric- crap website, spelling errors on bills, and you need a degree in maths to understand their billing. But they're cheap and a flaw in their convoluted billing scheme means I can get a free day's electricity each month.

You have reminded me we also joined the BG rewards scheme and have so far picked up two free days electric every six months and then a further ten days free electric on our next bill.

Won't amount to a lot but better than nothing.
  • Flt._Lt._Biggles
    Flt._Lt._Biggles Posts: 300 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 December 2019 at 11:48AM
    Options
    slacky1230 wrote: »
    Hey guys

just moved into a new build property and its currently supplied by british gas but the rates im on are high to say the least.

Been on the usual comparison websites and edf and avro energy are coming back the cheapest. Ive ready the last few pages of the avro thread on here and seems quite a few people are unhappy.

whos your energy with and how do you rate them? id like a hassle free way to upload meter readers preferably by the app and accurate bills no estimated ones

Thanks
    There are feedback threads on every supplier here.

If you look at the feedback thread of any supplier here, you will probably find negative posts.

You need to form a view yourself, having read all the posts of thjose suppliers you m ay be prepared to switch to, as to which supplier you are prepared to switch to.

As for British Gas, MSE say they are the cheapest big 6 supplier currently, saving over £300 per year compared to their standard tariff (based on average useage), and you get free boiler cover too :money:

But that tariff is not available direct, so consult a comparison site, where there is often a customer service ratiing against suppliers too, if that is important for you.
  • Flt._Lt._Biggles
    Options
    Talldave wrote: »

They are not coming out very cheap for me at present.
    I suspect there is a negative post in their feedback thread somewhere.

As for Symbio, well there is a lots of posts about them, certainly not all favourable, in their feeback thread.
  • slacky1230
    Options
    I would of stopped with British Gas but at 19p kWh and 26p standing charge for electric and 4.23p kwh and 31p standing charge for gas I can’t justify paying the extra for a ‘big six’ company. I’m swaying towards people’s energy if I’m honest
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure