Dispute with roofer

Options
Afternoon,

I'm new on here and would really appreciate some advice.
I have had a new roof on a side extension. It was paid for in three installments totalling £3875. The roofer arrived to day for the remaining balance and was shocked that it wasn't more. He was expecting £1000 more. My DH explained and showed him the payment schedule plus bank transfer record that he received £1850 1st off but the roofer claims he only asked for £800. My DH counted the 1st installment twice and I checked it once. Now he wants the rest of the money. Can someone advise as to what to do. It's our word against his.

Thanks
Alison:(

Comments

• glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    What does the receipt he gave you say for the first payment?
  • msajglover
    Options
    Thanks for getting back to me. There is no receipt. He agreed to give a receipt at the end of the job when final payment given.
  • glentoran99
    Options
    msajglover wrote: »
    Thanks for getting back to me. There is no receipt. He agreed to give a receipt at the end of the job when final payment given.

So you handed over almost £2000 and didn't get a receipt or confirmation of what you paid?

Your word against his, and with your only proof of payment the bank transfer totals I really cant see how you can prove that you paid more.

Any correspondence at all confirming what the initial payment was to be?
  • msajglover
    Options
    All we have is a piece of paper with the list of what each payment would be. In other building work I've only received a receipt once paid in full.
    What's done is done. We'll have to see how it plays out. Thanks for the response. ��
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    plus bank transfer record that he received £1850

You have proof of what you paid??..........what's the issue if you paid more on the first instalment.
  • glentoran99
    Options
    msajglover wrote: »
    All we have is a piece of paper with the list of what each payment would be. In other building work I've only received a receipt once paid in full.
    What's done is done. We'll have to see how it plays out. Thanks for the response. ��

What does it say for the first payment?
  • glentoran99
    Options
    scd3scd4 wrote: »
    plus bank transfer record that he received £1850

You have proof of what you paid??..........what's the issue if you paid more on the first instalment.

seems they paid the first payment in cash
  • msajglover
    Options
    Sorry my post isn't clear. We paid each installment in cash - have done so many times and at the end of the job given a receipt. The roofer is claiming there wasn't £1850 in the 1st installment, only £850, yet I counted the money myself and watched my DH hand it over. Somehow the roofer has misplaced the £1000 and is claiming he never received it (a month after it was paid) I even heard my DH tell him to count it which he did. My concern is what can he do. Mistakes have been made by both parties however how does this get resolved. I have a piece of paper with the 3 different installment amounts. I have a bank transaction where £3875 was withdrawn, a great roof but no proof of the money changing hands.
    Can he he tear down my roof to the value of a £1000? Can he go through the small claims court? Hope this post is clearer.

Thanks for reading.
  • glentoran99
    Options
    I don't believe he could tear down your roof, not legally anyway, could go to court,

Its fine to be wise after the event but I cant ever envisage me handing over large somes of cash with no acknowledgment its been received.

your bank transactions may support you in a court, however if you were paying in instalments why a withdrawal for the full amount?

What does the payment schedule say? If it tallies with what you believe you paid that would also support you, as if it wasn't why would it not be queried at the time
  • glentoran99
    Options
    Was the payment schedule drawn up by the roofer?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure