***New*** Thrifty Gifty Money Making for Christmas and all occasions 2011***

Options

Comments

• tartantotty
    Options
    Hiya

Can I join too? Have been a lurker in previous years but am moving this year, getting married and will have to get a new job. I sense being as money neutral as poss will be a bonus!

I already do VO, but if anyone wants to PM me some ideas for other surveys I can do, feel free.......!
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I'd like to join in, too, though as someone in full-time work I'm not sure about doing the surveys as I think I'd have to register as self-employed for tax purposes, if I read correctly, and I'm not sure I want to do that. How possible is it to join in without doing them?

Sorry - hope you don't mind me answering, but cashback sites, as they are commission based, they would not affect any income for tax purposes, another thought car boots, ebay - as long as there your items your selling, if you were buying 100 braclets off ebay, to sell at a car boot then that would be a business, if you raided your wardrobe, etc - then your ok. xx
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • mum2one
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I can't wait to get restarted, got to add up the christmas spending, for this yr, I know I made money neutral on the presents, (don't include Miss Hoodie and parents)...... maybe one of these yrs... xx
  • loopy-loo73
    Options
    i'd like to join please
    i'm totally disorganised most things are last minute & end up costing more than they should cos i panic buy
    so i definately need to sort myself out!
    lou x
  • Well_Preserved
    Options
    Thanks mum2one - sounds like good advice! Great if I can do it - I'm cautious & a bit of a worrier by nature!
  • elysia2003
    elysia2003 Posts: 5,155 Forumite
    edited 23 December 2010 at 10:02PM
    Options
    Welcome back Well preserved. Lots of people on here work full time as well as their money making efforts.

Ditto from me to what Mum2one said. You can save money right away by using a cashback site such as quidco or topcashback - what you are doing is earning commision back on what you have spent, so it's YOUR money, you haven't earned it!

Re: the survey sites - I wouldn't worry, it's up to you of course. If you join 10 sites, and fill out one survey on each, per week, it's hardly going to make a difference to the taxman, if you did register as self employed they wouldn't get a fat lot back off you. It's your call.

Like Mum2one says - there are other ways of making money, carboots, making stuff and selling at craft fairs, ebay etc. It's how much you make that the taxman is interested in. I can't remember off the top of my head, but my last years figures were something like £980. Another poster on here RufusDog (hiya Rufus) made around £900. It's not a lot, but it all mounts up and it pays towards Christmas. Do you really think it's worth registering for tax purposes? It's up to you.

Hiya Tartan Totty and Loopy lou. Take your time and read through the first few posts. There are lots of hints/tips and recommendations of survey sites to join. That will be your aim at the moment. ;)
    I :heartpuls M.S.E.
    :DMortgage Free 18/01/10 13 years and 8 months early on a 20 year mortgage! :D
  • caroline78
    Options
    I would like to join this year too. This was a bad year moneywise for us...We finally got married in May after 9 years together and also managed to finally get pregnant after 6 years of trying so have a "bean" due in April.
    My husband doesn't work due to illness and I have just left work as I worked long 15 hour shifts for very little money and have been quite ill so decided my "bean" was more important than work. The downside of this is that we have £110 a week to live on, although rent is paid. My husband has three children, 18, 16 and 13 from a previous relationship and although we don't pay official money to them we do help out when they need it.
    We don't buy a lot of people for birthdays but tend to buy a lot for Christmas, which I fully intend to cut way back on next year....telling people this year that we will not be buying them next year so they don't need to buy us either.
    Hope to cross stitch some gifts for family next year which will help save us money as I already have the stuff here to make them.
    Well, enough rambling from me...xx
    ;)I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY;)
  • elysia2003
    Options
    Hello Caroline welcome to the thread.

Thankyou for introducing yourself. How wonderful for you to have a new arrival to look forward to. Sorry to hear that you have had to give up your job though.

As I have said to everyone else, read through the first posts, and join up to some survey sites. Take you time, don't do them all at once. We will have a challenge on the 1st jan, so come back soon.
  • elysia2003
    Options
    I suppose I ought to introduce myself as well, as we have so many new faces on here.

I am a stay at home Mum, with two daughters. One 19 (training to be a teacher) and one almost 8. My OH works hard and his money goes on bills. The money I earn on this thread pays for presents for birthdays and christmas.

This time last year I joined the thrifty boards myself, and have loved every single minute of it. I was money neutral this year (2010) and hope, with everyones help, to be neutral next year too!

If I can be of any assistance at all, please do not hesitate to ask. I'll do my utmost to help.
  • mum2one
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Just done me totals forspends for 2010 xmas

131 xmas prezzies (don't ask - Miss Hoodie - with all the class etc)
    budget - £900
    Spent £436.60 (all money neutral)

Actual cost of presents - £1416
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business