Can the parent charge rent?

Options

Comments

• lesleystrawson
    Options
    Thanks for all the input everyone.

The dynamic between mum and 17 year old is not great from what my daughter has said - though of course there are always two sides to every story. I have mentioned the welfare officer in school - good suggestion thank you.

Dad pops in and out of the child's life (Dad was in Australia until recently) and isn't currently located near the school. And I really don't know enough about the relationship there, but will broach it as an idea to pass on. Daughter's friend is aware that a part time job is a very good idea - lack of transport to most school/part time employers has been a limiting factor for them, but they can certainly continue to try. Moving in with us is not a possibility unfortunately.

It is unfair - such a lot of pressure on these children already. A-levels were the toughest exams I remember doing in my education and I am sure things haven't changed much. Poor kid.
    'My father told me to go for it.
    So I went for it. But it had gone.'
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    So mum gets money from the girl's father but wants more money from her.
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    If moving to stay with her father isn't feasible, is your daughter good enough friends to have her move in with you?

You would be able to claim CB as well as maintenance from both parents.
    As a general principle, if a 17 year old moves into private rented accommodation and lives independently, e.g. as a lodger, who gets the child benefit and maintenance? Sounds like from the post I've quoted it would be the landlord :eek:
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • paddy's_mum
    paddy's_mum Posts: 3,977 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    mum...and 7 siblings....she does not work at present

I imagine the Mum would much prefer an eight hour day and a paypacket at the end of it!

Eight children, a boyfriend and a house to look after - the poor woman must be exhausted at the end of every day!
  • Twoplus
    Twoplus Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    You say the teenager gets EMA and uses that money to socialize with. I am guessing the Mum thinks some of that EMA money should be going towards the cost of keeping the teenager as Education Maintenance Allowance is paid to fund the upkeep of teenagers in further education from poor income families.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As a general principle, if a 17 year old moves into private rented accommodation and lives independently, e.g. as a lodger, who gets the child benefit and maintenance? Sounds like from the post I've quoted it would be the landlord :eek:

No-one, because the youngster would be an independent person, not a dependent of the LL.
  • DrivingMissDaisy
    Options
    I imagine the Mum would much prefer an eight hour day and a paypacket at the end of it!

Eight children, a boyfriend and a house to look after - the poor woman must be exhausted at the end of every day!
    That's wishful thinking. The reality probably is 7 siblings are from different partners, some paying some AWOL. Mum living on benefits and has probably never worked. Gone from one BF to another.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm guessing that the person concerned isn't in England since EMA has finished there.
    https://www.gov.uk/education-maintenance-allowance-ema

You might be as well to post what part of the UK, you are talking about, since there may be different things that can be claimed.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Spendless wrote: »
    I'm guessing that the person concerned isn't in England since EMA has finished there.
    https://www.gov.uk/education-maintenance-allowance-ema

You might be as well to post what part of the UK, you are talking about, since there may be different things that can be claimed.

They're in Wales
  • Kentish_Dave
    Kentish_Dave Posts: 842 Forumite
    Options

Given what we’ve read I very much doubt she’s doing much looking after of anyone, and is not likely to know what working an eight hour day feels like.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure