Blame use of CPI for low interest rates

Options

Comments

• antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    Antrobus - Its merely speculative, I gain nothing from it gaining traction, I merely predict that with time it might gain traction from other people's discovery, and testing the idea in my own mind...

That's not how a hypothesis is tested.

Less pointless speculation and more reading is needed.

History of and differences between the Consumer Prices Index and Retail Prices Index
    https://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/cpi/consumer-price-indices/history-of-and-differences-between-the-consumer-prices-index-and-retail-prices-index/history-of-and-differences-between-the-consumer-price-index-and-retail-price-index---article.pdf
    I don't have evidence other than what I remember reading in papers at the time, the cheer when prices rose, the view that the economy relied in people using their houses like ATMS

I was referring to your claim that "it's only fairly recently that people started wanting house prices to slow down".
    Those things still took a whole lifetime to happen, and before the industrial revolution mankind did not very much for quite a while. I think in the past social immobility slowed progress and, although that's better now, especially with Internet, there is room for improvement

More like a third of a lifetime. Which is nothing. The Earth is over 4 billion years old.
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I do believe in global warming but I don't think it really matters if half the species on the planet and a few archipelagos dissapear

I wasn't suggesting you didn't believe in it.

Have to disagree on the species not mattering. But that's just my opinion.

But you're misunderstanding the wider implications if you think it will be a few archipelagos disappearing! It'll be major coastal areas, including cities - everywhere - too. Plus (and this is the biggie) big changes in vegetation, crops and water availability and massive displacement of people as a result. The immigration and refugee issues of today will seem pathetically trivial if even the medium impacts of climate change happen. Not something to be relaxed about!

But this is all off-topic....
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    You could list hundreds or thousands of economic changes that have taken place between those generations. Each having a pull or
    push on the economic situation of the UK.

The change of RPI/CPI is not one that would be high up on that list.

Some things are the fault of the baby boomers.
    Some things are the fault of the millennials.
    Some things are the fault of hundreds of years of activity catching up with the later generations.
    Some things are totally out of the control of anyone in the UK.

And some things are the fault of the boogie.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Zanderman - it'd cost more to get co2 emissions down than it'd cost to adapt to the changes global warming will bring.
    As long as humans, and something for humans to eat exist, the earth can continue to be a productive resource. Even this planet is not particularly significant when billions of other stars have billions if other planets.

Also although economic development takes you through a high co2 emissions stage, you pass through it into a cleaner form of economy faster if you allow economic growth.

Antrobus - I'm not at the stage of submitting formal hypothesis, nor am I inclined, the evidence may take years more to produce
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,278 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    it'd cost more to get co2 emissions down than it'd cost to adapt to the changes global warming will bring.
    Do you have evidence to support this, or are you just guessing?

I've seen cost figures of less than 1% of global GDP thrown around when talking about reducing emissions. It seems likely that solving a humanitarian crisis on this scale would cost many times more than this.
  • Zanderman
    Options
    Zanderman - it'd cost more to get co2 emissions down than it'd cost to adapt to the changes global warming will bring.
    As long as humans, and something for humans to eat exist, the earth can continue to be a productive resource. Even this planet is not particularly significant when billions of other stars have billions if other planets.

Also although economic development takes you through a high co2 emissions stage, you pass through it into a cleaner form of economy faster if you allow economic growth.

I think this is the point where I bail out of this conversation. It's off topic as I've said already, you're ignoring the point I was making to you that climate change is more than your suggestion of just a few archipelagos being flooded and you're now broadening your comment out to talking about whether it is worth fighting climate change or not (which is a completely different subject to what the impacts will be) and some vague philosophical words basically saying it will be alright in the end. With that attitude nothing matters at all.

Your thread is about CPI/RPI....
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's been revealed to me that the boe used to track rpix, excluding housing, not rpi, mood to cross check but I think that kills the theory

Zanderman - why do people emphasise the impacts of climate change if they won't think about whether it's worth tackling? Surely that's the next logical step
  • Zanderman
    Options
    Zanderman - why do people emphasise the impacts of climate change if they won't think about whether it's worth tackling? Surely that's the next logical step

I'm not sure whether you're deliberately trying to misquote me or what.

I haven't said anything about whether it's worth trying to tackle CC or not.

I merely made the point that the impacts of CC are one thing. And they are big. The impacts will be massive. You were trivialising them.

The measures needed to be taken to prevent those impacts is another point entirely. I haven't commented on those at all. You brought that issue up.

As for whether it's worth tackling, you implied it will all be alright on the night, whatever happens. I have not said that at all..

Basically there are two issues to consider - 1: impacts of CC (which will need to be tackled as and when it happens) and 2: measures to prevent it happening. If 2 happens and works 1 is no problem. Likelihood is 2 won't happen or won't be sufficient, so 1 will happen. Both 1 and 2 require mega changes in human activity. But they are different things. 2 is short term and urgent, 1 is long term.

This is your thread about CPI/RPI and interest rates not climate change. I'd suggest if you want to discuss climate change (you brought it up!) you start another thread about it elsewhere.

I said I was bailing out of this thread so this really my final comment!
  • talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Zanderman wrote: »
    I said I was bailing out of this thread so this really my final comment!

Very wise, I'd guess by now there are a couple million more things useful to do with your time.:wink:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure