Insurance cancelled but still charged?

Options
I have just discovered that direct debits have continued to be taken for home insurance that we cancelled last year. We did not renew and notified the insurance company. I’ve just checked online and we have no ongoing policy with them. Am I able to reclaim this money from them?

Comments

• SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You can either use the direct debit indemnity scheme with your bank or you can contact the insurer and ask them to resolve it.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Are you sure you cancelled ?

Did you receive confirmation of this eg a letter or email, not even sure you get confirmation that you have not renewed the policy these days.

If your sure you cancelled then surely your insurer is who you should contact or speak to your bank as mentioned.
  • Amst
    Amst Posts: 141 Forumite
    Options
    Do you mean cancelled as in you don't like auto-renewals and therefore assumed the insurer is psychic and knows you won't want to renew unless you keep getting that 'first year only introductory discount' but you didn't actually tell them.

Or do you mean you rang up and told them to lapse the policy when you saw the renewal quote?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure