Parking at B&Q Newry

Old_Git
Old_Git Posts: 4,744 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Cashback Cashier
edited 4 May 2019 at 2:06PM in N. Ireland
I received a parking charge for overstaying at B&Q carpark in Newry .Its from Smart Parking .
Do I need to pay .
I have read old threads suggesting I dont need to pay but no recent threads.
"Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"

Comments

• suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Ignore it

Mum got one a few weeks ago, Ive had a few, never been followed up other then another reminder

Only pay fines from traffic wardens and police in NI
  • CEON44
    CEON44 Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    On a similar subject I see Tesco now have people checking the car parks, in the North west area anyway. Was speaking to one of the guys. They are not employed by Tesco but a private firm. He checks the car park for over stayers, unauthorised parking in disabled bays and parent/child spaces. He does not issue fines but takes photo of car and sends it off to his HQ. They then issue fines by post. So can these fines also be ignored?
    I started out with nothing......And still have most of it left:p
  • davemorton
    davemorton Posts: 29,066 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    suki1964 wrote: »
    Ignore it

Mum got one a few weeks ago, Ive had a few, never been followed up other then another reminder

Only pay fines from traffic wardens and police in NI

Ignoring them is not the correct advice now. That changed a year or so back. I would advise people to go over the the parking section of MSE and read the newbies thread on there.
    Edit: Just noticed this is NI, so things may be different there, apologies if they are, but better safe than sorry.
    “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    CEON44 wrote: »
    On a similar subject I see Tesco now have people checking the car parks, in the North west area anyway. Was speaking to one of the guys. They are not employed by Tesco but a private firm. He checks the car park for over stayers, unauthorised parking in disabled bays and parent/child spaces. He does not issue fines but takes photo of car and sends it off to his HQ. They then issue fines by post. So can these fines also be ignored?

Yes they can

They are invitations to pay, nothing more

Our Tesco in Ballymoney have now employed them as well

They set the "fine" so low as to catch people out.

Most people think its a parking fine, and at £20 if paid in 14 days, its not so bad and cough up. But its not a fine

You can not be given a fine in a private car park in NI

If its a council run one - different story. If you get a ticket in one of those then its a traffic warden or the police and they have to be paid or challeneged
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Old_Git wrote: »
    I received a parking charge for overstaying at B&Q carpark in Newry .Its from Smart Parking .
    Do I need to pay .
    I have read old threads suggesting I dont need to pay but no recent threads.

The advice for NI in the Newbies Sticky of the Parking Tickets Subform is kept fully up to date.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure