Sports Direct and Click & Collect

Options
Hello readers,

Need some guidance on the next steps please.

I ordered a pair of trainers from Sports Direct online for Click & Collect order using Credit Card on 27th May totaling £18.98.

I received an email that it is ready to collect on Friday, 31st May and I went in to collect it on Sunday 2nd June.

The staff couldn't find the order and after waiting for 15-20 minutes they told me the order has already been collected by someone and I should call Customer Services to resolve it.

The Sports Direct Customer Service is down, so I contacted a customer service agent on web chat who told me they will look start the investigation and come back to me. I specifically asked if they can check CCTV and he confirmed it will be checked.

After not hearing from them I emailed their customer service agent on CS@sports... and today I received a reply which simply says that order was collected on 31st May and whoever collected the order provided order details and a form of ID. Therefore they cannot issue refund or resend the order. No mention of CCTV or what ID was checked etc.

Will appreciate any advice in this situation please.

Many Thanks

Comments

• D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Go back to the shop and demand that they show you the CCTV of you collecting the goods and see what they say.

Given what you say, have you raised a disputed transaction with your card provider?
  • faisalpak
    faisalpak Posts: 52 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, have raised a dispute with Card provider but what are the chances of success? With whom is the burden of proof?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,095 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    faisalpak wrote: »
    Yes, have raised a dispute with Card provider but what are the chances of success? With whom is the burden of proof?
    Well assuming you didn't collect the goods then your chances are very good.
    It's fraud pure and simple. Sports direct obviously failed to check ID and or order numbers correctly.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,144 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    beany_bot wrote: »
    Well assuming you didn't collect the goods then your chances are very good.
    It's fraud pure and simple. Sports direct obviously failed to check ID and or order numbers correctly.
    I'd agree that the root cause is probably some sort of admin error or human carelessness, but that wouldn't constitute fraud, which is all about intentional deception! The F word frequently gets bandied about unnecessarily on here and is rarely helpful....
  • whitepaper
    whitepaper Posts: 121 Forumite
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    I'd agree that the root cause is probably some sort of admin error or human carelessness, but that wouldn't constitute fraud, which is all about intentional deception! The F word frequently gets bandied about unnecessarily on here and is rarely helpful....

If someone else has used (without the OP's authority) the OPs bank or credit card, bank book, passport, driving licence, or utility bill for their own personal gain, namely the goods ordered and paid for by the OP, that would indeed be fraud by false representation contrary to S2 of the Fraud Act 2006.

What is rather strange is that whoever collected the goods also knew that the OP ordered goods to be collected from a particular store and when those goods would be available for collection. Perhaps the perpetrator also has acces to the OP's email account?
  • eskbanker
    Options
    whitepaper wrote: »
    If someone else has used (without the OP's authority) the OPs bank or credit card, bank book, passport, driving licence, or utility bill for their own personal gain, namely the goods ordered and paid for by the OP, that would indeed be fraud by false representation contrary to S2 of the Fraud Act 2006.
    I agree that it could be fraud, in circumstances such as those you outline, but was just challenging the stated notion that it definitely is fraud "pure and simple" without any meaningful details having been supplied! And even if it was fraud, how does classifying it as such at this stage actually help OP resolve the matter?
    What is rather strange is that whoever collected the goods also knew that the OP ordered goods to be collected from a particular store and when those goods would be available for collection. Perhaps the perpetrator also has acces to the OP's email account?
    The idea that somebody would carry out a deliberate fraud for £18.98 worth of goods that will inherently only fit a small proportion of the population seems far-fetched so it seems far more plausible to me that Sports Direct have inadvertently messed up their records....
  • whitepaper
    edited 7 June 2019 at 1:12PM
    Options
    faisalpak wrote: »

Before the matter comes to a hearing, the judge will order disclosure.
    So whatever evidence the supplier is hoping to rely upon to defend this claim will need to be disclosed. Often, when ID is requested (other than only for proof age) the supplier will take a note of something specific relating to the ID, such as a card number, a drivers number or the account number of the utility bill.

If those match with you, it would, on the balance of probablilty and in the absence of any contrary evidence, suggest that it was your ID that was indeed used.

If the store has CCTV, then that could also be used to assist in proving the goods were handed over. So far, Customer Services would have no idea what you look like, so there would be no reason to deliberately withold such footage from you .

You should ask to review footage from the store. Perhaps if you report the apparent fraud to police, they could obtain the footage (as they would be interested to see if they could identify the perpetrator).
    Otherwise, I know you have [STRIKE]verbally[/STRIKE] requested [edit: via web chat] that CS review the footage, but I would urge you to out that in writing. Then if they fail to supply the footage for the court to see, that too would raise questions by the court as to why, again to your advantage.

You may need to act quickly, as CCTV footage may not be be retained for very long, unless there has been a specific reason to do so.
  • whitepaper
    edited 7 June 2019 at 1:00PM
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    I agree that it could be fraud, in circumstances such as those you outline, but was just challenging the stated notion that it definitely is fraud "pure and simple" without any meaningful details having been supplied!

Based on the posts of the OP here, and the conditional clause included by beany_bot

i.e. "Well assuming you didn't collect the goods..."

and I would presume no one acting on the OPs authority, then it is fraud for the reasaon I have explained.

You'd have had a stronger point if you were to have argued against the suggestion by beany_bot that

"Sports direct obviously failed to check ID and or order numbers correctly."
  • eskbanker
    Options
    It would seem that I still haven't made my point clearly enough, so let me have another go!

If someone other than OP, and without OP's authority, has pretended to be OP and actually collected OP's order from Sports Direct then that would indeed appear to be a fraudulent action.

However, there are other scenarios that wouldn't entail someone doing this, such as administrative errors by Sports Direct, e.g. inadvertently marking the wrong order as collected, which, as far as I'm concerned, seem more plausible than the fraudulent one, for the reasons outlined previously.

Therefore at this stage it seems clear to me that there are both fraudulent and non-fraudulent possible explanations for what happened, so it's simplistic to assert that "it's fraud, pure and simple"....
  • faisalpak
    faisalpak Posts: 52 Forumite
    Options
    You may need to act quickly, as CCTV footage may not be be retained for very long, unless there has been a specific reason to do so.

I have already mentioned this to Credit Card agent while disputing the transaction, and asked if I need to do anything else. She responded that their dispute resolution team will look into it first and then will contact me.
    Just waiting to hear back from either SD or Credit Card.

Thanks everyone for useful assurance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport