HELP! Understanding the Alpha Pension Scheme

Options
Dear All,

I would be forever grateful if you could give me some advice in terms of what my pension actually means once I retire.

I am 30 years old on the Civil Service Alpha scheme.
Salary: £40k/year.
My monthly contribution: £203/month
Employers monthly contribution: £1013/month.

However I am struggling to see what this will mean once I retire (say 55)? Will I get a lump sum or a monthly payment?

I have currently got a mortgage so I'm debating whether to reduce my pension contribution to pay off the house faster. Apologies for my ignorance!

Thank you.

Sally-Anne

Comments

• hugheskevi
    hugheskevi Posts: 3,860 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    My monthly contribution: £203/month
    This is just the cost of being in the scheme, it does not affect the benefits you accrue so is not of much relevance.
    Employers monthly contribution: £1013/month.
    Ignore the employers monthly contribution, it is of no relevance to you.
    However I am struggling to see what this will mean once I retire (say 55)? Will I get a lump sum or a monthly payment?
    You are entitled to an annual pension payable without reduction from your Normal Pension age (which is your State Pension age). You can choose to commute some of the pension into a lump sum. You can also choose to take it earlier than your Normal Pension age. Full details are in the scheme guide, available at this link.

You can use the retirement modeler, available at this link.
    I have currently got a mortgage so I'm debating whether to reduce my pension contribution to pay off the house faster. Apologies for my ignorance!
    You cannot reduce your contribution, it is a set amount. Your only choices which will reduce the contribution are to opt-out or switch to the Partnership pension alternative. These are very unlikely to be better than remaining in alpha.
  • SallyAnneBooth
    Options
    Hi Hugheskevi,

Many thanks for your reply and clarification.

And there was me naively thinking ~£1200 is going into my pension pot every month :/

I just used the calculator you posted in the link. If I retire at 55 it says I will have ~£15k.

To understand what this £15k actually means, is it okay to ask myself "Can I live on £15k/year right now?" .........the answer to this would probably be yes if I was mortgage free as I don't spend much money on things.

Is it okay for me to assume this £15k will be adjusted for inflation?

Thank you.
  • hugheskevi
    Options
    And there was me naively thinking ~£1200 is going into my pension pot every month :/

You are building up an entitlement to a future income. The cost of it does not matter, that is the problem of the Exchequer. All that matters is what you have to pay to be in the scheme and the income you accrue from being in the scheme.
    Is it okay for me to assume this £15k will be adjusted for inflation?

Yes, the figures are in today's price terms. Accrued pension increases each year in line with the change in prices, currently measured by CPI.
    To understand what this £15k actually means, is it okay to ask myself "Can I live on £15k/year right now?" .........the answer to this would probably be yes if I was mortgage free as I don't spend much money on things.

The £15K is pre-tax, so after income tax would be £14,500 net.

The expectation is that minimum pension age will increase to be State Pension age minus 10 years. Your State Pension age is currently 68 and is likely to increase further. Hence you may well not be able to access your alpha pension until at least age 58.

You need to plan across all of your alpha, State and other pensions. Otherwise you would have a (relatively) big increase in income when you reach State Pension age. So, for example, you may wish to purchase alpha EPA or make Defined Contribution pension contributions to smooth income over the period after retirement.

Note that as earnings growth is typically higher than inflation, a figure of £15K in today's price terms will decline relative to earnings over time. Currently a full time worker earning minimum wage would take home around £15K per year. In 25 years time you would expect a full time minimum wage worker to be earning a lot more than £15K in today's terms.
  • SallyAnneBooth
    Options
    Really grateful for the explanation provided, this makes much more sense in my head now and has put me at ease.

In comparison to some of my older colleagues who are on older schemes, this deal is far worse. But at the same time its a very good deal compared to whats out there now.

What is the Alpha EPA in laymans terms?
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,388 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    In comparison to some of my older colleagues who are on older schemes, this deal is far worse. But at the same time its a very good deal compared to whats out there now.

It's really not far worse, its just not as good and gold plated as it was, but it is fairer in that its career average.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • hugheskevi
    Options

Given your age, it is a less good deal. But alpha is actually better than the previous schemes for older workers (those over about age 50, and especially those over age 60).
    What is the Alpha EPA in laymans terms?

It is covered in the scheme booklet. EPA reduces the age at which an unreduced pension is payable by up to 3 years, from Normal Pension age. So rather than getting an unreduced pension at age 68 you can choose to purchase a 3 year EPA and receive an unreduced pension at age 65.
  • SallyAnneBooth
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

Yes alot of my colleagues are on some Final Salary Scheme where I'm told their annual pension will be their final salary + some sort of lump sum.

I will definitely look into the EPA for sure as I want to retire as soon as reasonably possible.

If I understand correctly, other Civil Service Schemes such as the Partnership one is contributions based in the sense that you build up a pot which is invested in stocks/shares and when you come to retire your pension is the overall value of the pot. Is this correct?
  • hugheskevi
    Options
    If I understand correctly, other Civil Service Schemes such as the Partnership one is contributions based in the sense that you build up a pot which is invested in stocks/shares and when you come to retire your pension is the overall value of the pot. Is this correct?
    That's right.

Partnership is the only alternative scheme to alpha.
    Yes alot of my colleagues are on some Final Salary Scheme where I'm told their annual pension will be their final salary + some sort of lump sum.
    There have been a number of previous Civil Service schemes, years stated refer to year of joining:

Classic - pre 2002, Normal Pension age 60
    Classic plus - pre 2002, Normal Pension age 60
    Premium - 2002-2007, Normal Pension age 60
    Nuvos -2007-2015, Normal Pension age 65
    Alpha - 2015 onwards, Normal Pension age=State Pension age with minimum of 65

Of these, Classic, Classic Plus and Premium are final salary. Only Classic and Classic Plus have an automatic lump sum, in all the other schemes income has to be exchanged for lump sum at the very unattractive rate of 12:1.

Members who were within 13.5 years of Normal Pension age as at 31st March 2012 could remain in their pension scheme for a period beyond 2015, and if within 10 years remained in their pension scheme permanently. All other members moved to alpha from 1 April 2015, but any final salary pension they had remained linked to their final salary at the point they left. For example, a member leaving in 2022 would have their pension calculated with reference to their final pay in 2022, not the amount in 2015 when they moved to alpha.
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,935 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 June 2019 at 11:48AM
    Options
    ...And there was me naively thinking ~£1200 is going into my pension pot every month :/...
    Alpha doesn't have a pot as such.

What you get is a promise. And a very valuable one it is too.

For each year that you work, the civil service promises you 2.32% of your salary, every year in retirement.

So if you work there the whole of 2019, on £40k salary, you'll get £928 each year of retirement *
    If you work there for the whole of 2020, still on £40k, you'll get anther £928. And so on.

Eaach £928 slice is uprated in line with inflation each year (CPI) until your retirement age. And then it continues to be uprated in line with CPI once you're retired.

* Assuming you retire at the scheme retirement age. If you take it (say) from age 55, it'll be reduced to reflect the fact that you'll be taking it for longer.
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,935 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes, that's right. It's also a generous scheme.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure