Hmrc and stepchange

Options
I feel so stupid for writing this, but long story short, I ended up with a small loan whilst with stepchanges dmp.
I know it was foolish and I'm sorting this out myself.
The hmrc are also doing routine checks on my tax credits award of which they want bank statements. Now the hmrc will see the repayments for the loan and also my monthly stepchange payment.
can and do the hmrc report this to stepchange?

Comments

• jools1985
    Options
    No they don't. They have no interest in what you pay to Stepchange. They would be breaking data protection if they disclosed anything on your bank statement to a third party.

If it's to check a Tax Credits award they will be looking to see that your income is what you say it is.
  • rbcjhub
    Options
    I just thought with stepchange being a government help service they could do, or at least "tip them off".
    I'm trying to sort this mess out like I say, but just worried that could happen
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    To the best of my knowledge Stepchange is an independent charity.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • rbcjhub
    Options
    OK on that information (of which thank you), is there some sort of clause, rule whatever that allows them to inform stepchange of their findings?
  • rbcjhub
    Options
    I tried to dm you, but it appears I can't?
  • rbcjhub
    Options
    No they don't. They have no interest in what you pay to Stepchange. They would be breaking data protection if they disclosed anything on your bank statement to a third party.

If it's to check a Tax Credits award they will be looking to see that your income is what you say it is.

Jools1985 I tried to dm you but its not showing as its sent?
  • BrassicWoman
    Options
    rbcjhub wrote: »
    Jools1985 I tried to dm you but its not showing as its sent?

Some people have their accounts set to no DMs
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • jools1985
    Options
    Hi, I got your PM's and have replied. I had logged off for the night.

Try not to worry - I know that is easy for me to say, and also know how anxiety makes you worry about everything. HMRC are not interested in anything outside of HMRC issues. They will just be checking your your bank statements to see what your income is and checking it against what you have declared on your claim. As long as they match (or thereabouts) you will be fine. Stepchange doesn't come into it at all.

I'm off to work now so any more PM's today won't be looked at. Take Care :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure