Free School Meals - change hours lose eligibility or protected?

Options

Comments

• michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,049 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Icequeen99 wrote: »
    My understanding is that only applies to UC transition cases, not to someone in tax credits already who moves outside of entitlement as the OP is doing.

IQ

Thank you - this is what is concerning me. Do you have a link to support this or know where I could go for guidance? Thanks
    I think....
  • michaels
    Options
    I can certainly see how you could read the govt advice as applying to those losing entitlement as a consequence of migration to UC.

However if I google the problem lots of local authority websites say things like: you do not need to reconfirm eligibility for any existing FSM recipients until 2022
    I think....
  • Darksparkle
    Options
    Then why not contact your local authority and speak to them?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 21 September 2018 at 3:46PM
    Options
    Then why not contact your local authority and speak to them?

I think that's very good advice - hopefully they will know the answer (although there's no guarantee).

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/700139/Free_school_meals_guidance_Apr18.pdf
    page 10 says:
    "From 1 April 20182, transitional protections will be implemented for those pupils who might otherwise have lost free school meals following the update to the eligibility criteria. The transitional protections will be awarded as follows:

• Any pupil who is in receipt of free school meals immediately prior to 1 April 2018 will continue to receive free school meals whilst Universal Credit is rolled out. This applies even if they no longer meet the eligibility criteria during that time. "

This reads as blanket protection regardless of whether claimants are in a UC area or not and regardless of whether they are on legacy benefits or transferring to UC. If that is the case the OP is OK but I'm nervous about interpreting it at face value in case it is just badly written.

Local authority should know if they are carrying on checks for existing FSM claimants or whether all existing claims are now being left alone.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • michaels
    Options
    calcotti wrote: »
    I think that's very good advice - hopefully they will know the answer (although there's no guarantee).

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/700139/Free_school_meals_guidance_Apr18.pdf
    page 10 says:
    "From 1 April 20182, transitional protections will be implemented for those pupils who might otherwise have lost free school meals following the update to the eligibility criteria. The transitional protections will be awarded as follows:

• Any pupil who is in receipt of free school meals immediately prior to 1 April 2018 will continue to receive free school meals whilst Universal Credit is rolled out. This applies even if they no longer meet the eligibility criteria during that time. "

As written this reads as blanket protection regardless of whether claimants are in a UC area or not and regardless of whether they are on legacy benefits or transferring to UC. If that is the case the OP is OK but I'm nervous about interpreting it at face value.

So my bold above you could read as the transitional arrangements only applying to those who lose out due to the change in criteria rather than applying to everyone. In a way it would seem silly for someone who was unemployed but then walked into a 40k job to still get free school meals for their kids....
    I think....
  • calcotti
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    So my bold above you could read as the transitional arrangements only applying to those who lose out due to the change in criteria rather than applying to everyone. In a way it would seem silly for someone who was unemployed but then walked into a 40k job to still get free school meals for their kids....

I agree but because of the way it is written it is unclear, hence talking to local authority seems like a good idea.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Mollycat13
    Options
    I work in a secondary school.

The information that we have been given is:
    Anyone entitled to FSM on 31/03/2018 and anyone becoming entitled at any point afterwards have 'protected FSM' status.
    They will continue to qualify for FSM until the end of their school phase even if their circumstances change.

Does seem a little unfair to all those who have always worked full time however cannot afford to pay for school meals and have no choice but to send their children packed lunch every day.

But who am I to question the rules?
  • calcotti
    Options
    Mollycat13 wrote: »
    I work in a secondary school.

The information that we have been given is:
    Anyone entitled to FSM on 31/03/2018 and anyone becoming entitled at any point afterwards have 'protected FSM' status.
    They will continue to qualify for FSM until the end of their school phase even if their circumstances change.

Does seem a little unfair to all those who have always worked full time however cannot afford to pay for school meals and have no choice but to send their children packed lunch every day.

But who am I to question the rules?

I'm going off topic as regards benefits but it occurs to me that as FSM is used as a measure for disadvantaged children when reporting school results isn't this going to distort school statistics over the next few years.
  • michaels
    Options
    calcotti wrote: »
    I'm going off topic as regards benefits but it occurs to me that as FSM is used as a measure for disadvantaged children when reporting school results isn't this going to distort school statistics over the next few years.

Staying off topic, whilst a pupil has FSM and for 6 years afterwards they attract a considerable extra payment for the school so schools should do all they can to encourage parents to claim.
    I think....
  • michaels
    Options
    Herts CC say I could earn a million quid a year starting tomorrow and my kids would still get free school meals until 2022...… :)
    I think....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport