Options

Comments

• marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,935 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 August 2018 at 9:51AM
    Options
    Boonip wrote: »
    I have to ask, why anyone in their sane mind, would give Arnold Clark their custom. The internet is rife with stories of how people have been ripped off by them - and sadly I too have fallen victim of their shenanigans....
    Presumably because, like you, they only search the internet after they've had a problem?

On a more serious note, I've always found that many things depend on local management. Our lease car had to go to Kwikfit for tyres etc - and as I was travelling around the country a lot in my job, I used a number of different branches. Some were excellent. Some were not. If you believed the internet, they are all dire - I'm sure some are but that's not necessarily the case.
  • eschaton
    eschaton Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can get good/bad in most branches of a company and I have found that with Arnold Clark.

When you get to the point that their Head Office CS take on the same 'couldn't give a !!!! about the customer attitude' is when you take your custom elsewhere.

I bought 8 cars off them between 2000-2013, 8 new and 1 ex demo costing over £150k and there won't be a number 9.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Boonip wrote: »
    I have to ask, why anyone in their sane mind, would give Arnold Clark their custom. The internet is rife with stories of how people have been ripped off by them - and sadly I too have fallen victim of their shenanigans.

You need to ask yourself why.
  • happyc84
    happyc84 Posts: 324 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Arnold shark also spend heavily on media advertising - hence no bad news stories in those papers.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Boonip

I have to ask why?

the internet is rife with stories about arnold clark, why did you use them
  • Jlawson118
    Jlawson118 Posts: 1,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    JCT600 did the same to me back in 2016. Bought a second hand 2011 Vauxhall Corsa from them and of course it was all smiles when buying the car but as soon as I had problems, they didn't want to know.

A few weeks into owning the car I noticed the steering wheel was shaky on the motorway, took it into Kwik-Fit where they told me one of my alloys was bent and damaged. (Okay I know Kwik-Fit aren't the most reputable, but I could believe them on the occasion)
    Took the car back to JCT600 where they claimed there was nothing wrong with the wheel, and had balanced it to their standard. When a few days later I realised they'd completely replaced the alloy and tyre!

As the months went on, I started to notice sufficient power problems with the car. Took it back to them. "Sorry we can't find anything wrong with it." Took it into an independent mechanic who took a look into it and said the timing chain was stretched, it's a common fault on the Corsas." Took it back to JCT and they argued the timing chain was fine, and they swapped the coil pack. It didn't change anything. They had me test driving other Corsas without a problem, but still claimed they were the same as mine.

Then my engine cut out on the motorway.
    They had it into the garage one final time, had me waiting three hours saying they were fully investigating it. Came back to me and said "Okay, we've fixed the rattle you were talking about." I turned around asking "What rattle?"

I gave up trying and just put up with the dodgy car. I was lucky to get rid of it just after Christmas just gone. Never going back to JCT600 ever again.

I bought a 'Nearly New' Audi A3 from the Audi dealership and they fully looked after me when I bought it. My back wiper was very squeaky and the service and parts department were reluctant to change it without a charge, and the guy who sold the car to me haggled and fought for them to replace it for free. Even though I said I'd happily pay for it!
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Nearly new Audi vs 5 year old Corsa?
  • Piggywinkle
    Options
    I bought a 2013 Vauxhall Mokka from them at the start of this year - there were a few minor niggles, rear washer wasn't working, I had a brake light out and the gearstick kept popping out of first.

The only complaint I had is that they were flipping terrible at returning my calls when I was trying to book the repairs. I ended up having to go there in person in the end to get anything sorted - a 60 mile round trip I could have done without. Message upon message was left and no one ever bothered calling me back.

When I did get it booked in, the repairs were carried out on the same day and they valeted the car on top of that. It was all under their warranty (I think I had 30 days to notify them of any problems?) - this was the Stafford store by the way. So a bit mixed really.
  • Mummylhg
    Options
    Never have I regretted anything more than buying a car from Arnold clark. We brought our car in December and the day we were supposed to pick it up we were told there would be a delay as when valeting it they found a huge water leak and the whole car would need drying out properly, the leak was apparently caused by a fault in a missing seal which the cars were being recalled on. So after 2 weeks of chasing on my part I finally was able to pick up my car, after I while I noticed that every now and again the radio would randomly turn off then back on but as it was very rare I didn't think much of it, fast forward to September and I now have no audio coming out from the radio bluetooth or any nav, rang Arnold clark in dumbarton who said I was out of warranty and it would cost £105 plus VAT to just look at it, I was sure I had taken out the extended warranty but thought I must have made a mistake and not actually taken it out so I took the car to an auto electrician who after thoroughly checking the car asked me if the car had ever had any water damage as the electrics were corroded. I told him about the wster damage before we got the car and he told me that would have caused the corrosion. So back to Arnold clark in dumbarton after several phone calls to them and just being passed from one person to another I decided to actually go to the showroom as then I couldn't be robbed off on the phone. Never have I ever met such unhelpful, rude and obnoxious customer services members than I met at dumbarton. They basically told me they would not fix the problem as I can't prove it was the water damage that caused the corrosion, the sales manager and service manager were not in the slightest bit interested in helping, were rude and completely unprofessional, I was given the impression that well we have your money now tough luck if you have a problem you can't prove anything. I thought Arnold Clark was a company I could trust.......How wrong was I. Never felt so cheated and conned in my life
  • Mummylhg
    Options
    Also it turns out I was right I did take out the 2 year extended warranty but was then told it doesn't cover this issue!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure