Quote for doors - does this sound right?

Options
I have been quoted by our builder who was working on kitchen and bathroom refurb a total cost of £736.68 to purchase and hang 3 internal doors from Howdens. These were 2x four panel clear pine doors and 1x moulded (egg box construction) bi-fold door for a cupboard. Broken down the quote was £496.68 for the doors and hinges (we would supply handles) and £80 to hang and fit each door.

We had mentioned to the builder we wanted to replace the doors but nothing had been agreed. Unfortunately the builder took it upon himself to remove all doors and put them in skip. When I spoke to him about this he implied that was the norm but he would take them out of the skip if I wanted him to. I didn’t want my doors from the skip.

Does the above quote sound fair? :(

Comments

• Suicidemachine
    Options
    I paid rouhgly the same for 5 internal pine doors, hung and fitted. The doors came to around £400 and paid about £65 for each door to be hung/fitted. Based in Birmingham
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    He's having you over. The doors are around £250.00. £80 a door seems a bit top heavy.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • Brummie85
    Options
    Unless you specifically asked him to replace the items mentioned, he shouldn't have touched them. It sounds like he's spotted an opportunity to make some easy money and jumped on it.

It depends on how well you get on with the builder and if you need their services for much longer or in the future. If you have a good relationship with them and the are approachable, then I'd have a chat and thank him for the work but explain that you didn't agree to it being done a part of the discussion. Mentioning that you want to change them at some point is not the same as asking "Can you change these as well". If you didn't say that - he should have asked before starting the extra work.

Explain that once the old doors were skipped you didn't want them back (it seems he knows this) and offer to pay him cost price for the doors (with him showing you the receipt from Howdens) but be clear that you don't think you should pay for the fitting - you are down the cost of the doors that he took upon himself to remove.

To stop this in future, insist that quotes are given in writing first and agreed. That way he knows where he stands and it's clear he can't just do what he likes and bill you fir it.
  • gwynlas
    gwynlas Posts: 1,709 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Cost of doors sounds high, just had ten oak veneered doors from Howdens, look at B * Q on line for comparable price. Our fitter charged £55 per door, surprisingly lengthy process as each door had to be planed to fit. Handles and hinges can also be expensive.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure