Simple Question - CTC

Options
Hello All,

Please can somebody in the know confirm if you can get CTC as a married couple if only 1 of you works full time? I've recently been made redundant, my husband works full time, with those hours would we be entitled to CTC please?

Thank you.

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    Hello All,

Please can somebody in the know confirm if you can get CTC as a married couple if only 1 of you works full time? I've recently been made redundant, my husband works full time, with those hours would we be entitled to CTC please?

Thank you.

It’s income related not hours related.

Also if you are in a universal credit area you will have to claim UC and not CTC.
  • confused.com2
    Options
    Thanks, with my husbands income we would be entitled but i wasn't sure because i'm not working. Also i checked, i am in a UC area but have received a letter from Tax Credits, are existing claims being transferred over, its very confusing.
  • marliepanda
    Options
    Thanks, with my husbands income we would be entitled but i wasn't sure because i'm not working. Also i checked, i am in a UC area but have received a letter from Tax Credits, are existing claims being transferred over, its very confusing.

Do you already claim CTC or WTC? It didn!!!8217;t seem that way from your opening post. Will you be making a claim for out of work benefits, if so that will cause you to change to UC even if you have a TC claim.

The old CTC cut off was around 16k, not sure how that carries over to UC as it encompasses many benefits.
  • confused.com2
    Options
    We don't actually get any payments any more because my daughter was receiving DLA which ended in September, i let them know and we were no longer entitled to money but obviously we had a claim currently open. So if you are earning above 16k and have 1 child you have no entitlement? That's a bit lower than i thought, but good to have the information.
  • marliepanda
    Options
    We don't actually get any payments any more because my daughter was receiving DLA which ended in September, i let them know and we were no longer entitled to money but obviously we had a claim currently open. So if you are earning above 16k and have 1 child you have no entitlement? That's a bit lower than i thought, but good to have the information.

For the old tax credit it seems that way but its almost certainly worth claiming UC if your husband says income is low. Or just anyway. Worst they can say is no.
  • Icequeen99
    Icequeen99 Posts: 3,775 Forumite
    Options
    Do you already claim CTC or WTC? It didn!!!8217;t seem that way from your opening post. Will you be making a claim for out of work benefits, if so that will cause you to change to UC even if you have a TC claim.

The old CTC cut off was around 16k, not sure how that carries over to UC as it encompasses many benefits.

The 16k was the point at which CTC is tapered, not the cut-off. Below 16k you get maximum CTC.

Also, even in UC areas people with 3+ children (with some exceptions) can still claim tax credits.

OP - you need to get some advice before you claim UC if you are able to claim tax credits. The rules under UC are very different, especially in terms of work search requirements for both partners.

IQ
  • confused.com2
    Options
    It's as clear as mud! To clarify we've only 1 child, we currently have a tax credit claim open and i have spoken to the tax credit helpline today who never mentioned anything about UC. I'm not going to claim any out of work benefits, i've got a small amount of redundancy and i'm hoping to set up a business in the next few months. Reading various online sites we should be entitled to some child tax credits currently and when i start my business i'll let them know and give an estimated income for the rest of the year. Does that sound correct?
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    What is your household income?

How many hours will you be working? Will you have any childcare costs?
  • confused.com2
    Options
    To start with I'm only planning only working around 6 hours per week setting my business up, I won't be earning anything.

Husband works 38 hours and gets around £17,000 per annum.

No childcare costs.

I'm assume redundancy pay of around £4000 won't affect tax credits?
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    You should be getting CTC then, perhaps a little WTC. No redundancy within the £30,000 tax free limit isn't included.

Call them and update the estimated 2018/19 income.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure