Options

Comments

• mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    gfplux wrote: »
    Very sensible.
    I just want to come back to dental work. We probably all know that Britons have a reputation for "bad" teeth.
    Any problems anyone has at 40 or 50 will only get worse. Money spent at those ages can create a foundation that will last a lifetime.
    I say this from my experience of not only neglecting my health before I retired I rarely had time to see a dentist. Luckily I finally did and although £££ costly it turned out to be one of the best investments I could have made in the quality of my life.
    Boring but true.

Me too; I'm a 'nervous patient' and hated all dentists until I found a really good private one when I was in my late fifties, never looked back, Keeping on topic of pensions I have to say it feels like I'm funding my dentist's one almost single-handed ;-)
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • bluenose1
    bluenose1 Posts: 2,667 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Very sensible.
    I just want to come back to dental work. We probably all know that Britons have a reputation for "bad" teeth.
    Any problems anyone has at 40 or 50 will only get worse. Money spent at those ages can create a foundation that will last a lifetime.
    I say this from my experience of not only neglecting my health before I retired I rarely had time to see a dentist. Luckily I finally did and although £££ costly it turned out to be one of the best investments I could have made in the quality of my life.
    Boring but true.

Funny you should say that. I have massively increased my pension contributions so I could at least consider retirement in 3 and a half years at 55. I am conscious that my teeth, particularly back teeth are full of fillings and worry what will happen to them over the next few years. Have no idea what work I will need or the cost but think I may have to build in the cost to my retirement planning!!
    Money SPENDING Expert

• gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    mgdavid wrote: »
    Me too; I'm a 'nervous patient' and hated all dentists until I found a really good private one when I was in my late fifties, never looked back,

I signed up with a dentist a few years ago and was given a *huge* form to fill in with lots of questions having zero relevance to teeth. It even asked for occupation so I put "Medical Malpractice Litigator" and they never sent me any nagging letters about check ups for some reason.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • AlanP_2
    AlanP_2 Posts: 3,253 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mgdavid wrote: »
    Me too; I'm a 'nervous patient' and hated all dentists until I found a really good private one when I was in my late fifties, never looked back, Keeping on topic of pensions I have to say it feels like I'm funding my dentist's one almost single-handed ;-)

My wife's books his exotic annual holday every time he sees her name on the Patient List :j
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well, that's interesting. Let's just say that my ongoing efforts to make myself less indispensable and not part of every problem solving loop may have been a little too successful!
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • Terron
    Terron Posts: 846 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Very sensible.
    Boring but true.

I had been told by NHS dentists for years that I had a "funny bite" but they did nothing about it. In my late thirties I moved and could not find a NHS dentist so went to a private one. 2 years and £18,000 later and the cause of my problems had been fixed.
  • OldMusicGuy
    OldMusicGuy Posts: 1,758 Forumite
    Options
    Just did that. Spent £2,000 getting 30 year old root canal work drilled out and replaced with the latest modern equivalent. Hopefully that will go with me into the crematorium/afterlife/wicker coffin at the end of the garden.

That was the only major dental work left I needed doing, I've had all my old fillings gradually replaced over the last 5 years. I wanted to get that out of the way before I retired. Will be signing on with the local NHS dentist when I retire, no more private stuff.
  • DancingBadger
    Options
    I know we’re in O/T territory discussing dentists, but how do you fund your private dental treatment? Bank account? Denplan? BUPA?
  • OldMusicGuy
    OldMusicGuy Posts: 1,758 Forumite
    Options
    I know we’re in O/T territory discussing dentists, but how do you fund your private dental treatment? Bank account? Denplan? BUPA?
    Bank account. That's why no more in retirement.
  • frugal90
    frugal90 Posts: 360 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Atush, we have a similar strategy. We will have four years worth of living expenses when we stop teaching next summer. I"ll be 56 and wife 50. My teachers pension kicks in at 60, then my wife's SIPP will kick in when she is 55, then her teachers pension when she hits 60.

Our ISA''s we will dip into as and when we need them, but not when the stock market is low. I think we are overdue a correction.
    Early retired in summer 2018 and loving it
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure