Debit Card cancelled by bank without warning

Options

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    musketeer7 wrote: »
    As for your postal address,it shouldn't matter. Homeless people can have a temporary mailing address.
    You are only on the electoral register if you want to vote in elections and then recently I discovered homeless people can vote too. Not sure how they go about it. Shelter deals with that.
    The issue here is the use of multiple and inconsistent addresses, which are a red flag to credit rating agencies and therefore ultimately financial institutions, who may be spooked if they find that someone is claiming to live in several places.
    It is illegal to open mail addressed to someone else without permission.
    Not that old myth again! The actual wording of the relevant legislation (with emphasis of the significant difference from what you asserted) is:
    A person commits an offence if, intending to act to a person’s detriment and without reasonable excuse, he opens a postal packet which he knows or reasonably suspects has been incorrectly delivered to him.
  • musketeer7
    musketeer7 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    OK ESKBANKER. I hear what your saying and stand corrected.
    I understand that of course multiple addresses would be suspicious.

I guess if I open mail and it's a bank statement belonging to someone else I mistakenly thought was for me, I'm ok.

I usually return unopened back to sender.

Anyway back to the real issue. What to do about Nationwide.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Anyway back to the real issue. What to do about Nationwide.

Why does anything need to be done? Nationwide have been my 'main' bank for the last 19 years and I've never had a problem serious enough to consider wanting anything to be 'done' about them, and I suspect that the vast majority of their 8.1 million engaged customers feel exactly the same.

(see page 4) https://www.nationwide.co.uk/-/media/MainSite/documents/about/corporate-information/results-and-accounts/Prelim-results-2018.PDF
  • SophieK2
    SophieK2 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    "From what I can see, they have protected you from fraud regardless of your suspicions. They have performed a function within the terms of service of the account. Why do you think they sent the new card if it wasn't for security reasons? They have sent you a new card at the earliest opportunity. 2-3 working days is a short postal period. What would you have done if there was a fraud loss on your account?" You tell me why they sent me a new card if it wasn't for security reasons!! Because I have NO IDEA. If there was a fraud loss on my account I can call them and they can sort it.

" (so much for security then, especially when I was told not to keep changing my residential address because it affects your credit rating). " How are these things remotely related?" - they're related because someone could have intercepted my post, taken my debit card and cloned it. If security is really an issue, they then could have got my new debit card sent to my nearest branch in England at the time and I could have collected it in person from the branch. There's no way on this Earth that I am the only Northern Irish person in history who lived in England and got a bank card sent to their home address, and then had to wait for it to be sent to them in England.

"Has anyone else had this issue where your debit card was cancelled this weekend after the Visa saga?" Again independent issues. You're reaching to make this related." - they're not independent issues. I am trying to determine if Nationwide cancelled my card due to the Visa saga, or due to "suspicious activity" specifically on my account before 1st June, before I make a complaint about the way my case has been handled. I was interested to know if anyone else had been in the same boat. You're awfully friendly, aren't you?
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You know, after reading that I suddenly realised I have never seen a person hand over, or a cashier ask for, the card to do a contactless payment.

My wife handed her card to the assistant in a store, the assistant clocked the contactless logo and showed my wife she just needed to put the card near the pad and the items are paid for instantly.

Probably a rare thing though.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 11 June 2018 at 10:22AM
    Options
    Someone tried using it THIRTY times and you cant see why they might consider that a security risk?

You "couldn't be bothered" to call them at midnight but complain when they dont call you at midnight?

I can only imagine the complaint you'd be posting here if it was attempted fraud, it eventually got through, and you were put in overdraft as they took all your money out.

"i havent got much money, its my only card, it should have been obvious fraud was going on with 30 attempts, and yet they allowed my account to be cleared out.. Im really fed up with nationwide"

or, "can you believe Nationwide called me up at midnight just because my card was wonky. Because of them waking me up I woke up late next day, was sacked, got thrown out of my parents house for not paying the rent, became a drugs mule to finance my impoverished state and now am in a Singapore jail for 30 years and its all Nationwide's fault."

Your previous issue, and this one also appear to be the result of you lying to banks about where you live.

Get some perspective.

offended.jpg
  • SophieK2
    Options
    Gosh didn't realise my post had been replied to, I've worked out how to turn on notifications now. Silly me.

- No they did not advise why the card was cancelled beyond "security reasons", so for those of you with your snide replies, does this mean I can just never use any kind of online shopping again? Because I would seriously like to be able to shop online as I currently live in a rural location, without fear of my card being cancelled at random every few months with no proper explanation.

- the shop employee tried the transaction numerous times because yes, Visa was intermittent and other customers' purchases had gone through after a few attempts. They tried it a few times with my Chip and PIN, a few times contactless. I also tried the cash machine twice. The employee then tried to use the magnetic strip as that had worked for a few customers but unfortunately every time he tried to do it the contactless was activated. I was standing beside him at the customer services desk and could see the amount on the card machine so yes, it was fine by me that he was holding my card.

- Well yes, when I'm standing at the till trying to pay and can't leave the store because I need my groceries for my dinner, then it is kinda of desperate isn't it? I eventually had to wait 45 mins for my brother to drive to the store and give me cash (thankfully) so I could actually pay and leave. I didn't have enough cash in my purse. How on earth do you think I felt?!!

- "I don't live at the address i tell them" as I can't trust my parents not to open my post, so it gets sent to my granny's. My parents will open my post and then pretend they did it accidentally. They are extremely nosy. Congratulations to all of you living your perfect, independent, money-filled lives in your own house, having parents you can trust.

- I have gone paperless, but sometimes Nationwide sends other paper documentation out. If I had cancelled my card myself then I would have known to look out for it at my granny's house/she would have called me.

- Point taken about the back up card, but to be honest I didn't think this was going to happen again after the first time in England

- There's no "multiple and inconsistent" addresses, wherever you're getting that from. I've had 2 addresses only. My parents' and then my granny's. My granny's address has been used on the account since 2007. I lived in 6 different houses in England and was advised not to change it for any of those as some of them were for less than a year (e.g. university halls), which is fair enough.

- Yes, I've had the same mobile and email address for 10+ years so absolutely no reason why they can't contact me.

- I didn't call at 11.30pm at night because a) that's crazy and they're not open and b) I thought I would wait for the Visa thing to resolve over the weekend incase that's actually what the problem was.

I still haven't received my new debit card, I fully understand it can take 7-10 working days but because they had originally stated 2-3 days I thought it would be here by now. I checked my mobile banking app this morning and saw a new card listed, with the expiry date 05/23. This means that my card was actually cancelled in May.

Called Nationwide this morning and the girl said my card was cancelled by them on 10th May. I asked her how it was possible that I have been using my card issued last summer since then. She said there is a 21 day cover period before the new card arrives. Which took me up to 31st May. Which means when my card wouldn't work on 1st June, then it wasn't the Visa saga, it was my actual card. So that's that part solved.

The part that is not solved is why, when my card was cancelled by Nationwide on 10th May, I still don't have a new one. When I phoned on 4th June to ask for an explanation they didn't mention ANYTHING about it being cancelled on 10th May (so I thought it was since 1st June), and they told me they had issued the new one that morning. When I had been in branch they said they could see the new card on the system, and I can now see it appear on my banking app.

Girl on the phone this morning said card was NEVER issued on 4th June and she can't see anything on system. Actual new one being sent today, will take 7 working days.

When I was in branch last week I asked them to change my address as my granny is starting to have memory problems and it's one less thing for her to worry about if I don't get any banking post sent there. The guy who served me didn't actually bother as I found out when I got home. 2 days later I went in to get cash out to tide me over and bought along the "change of address" form filled in. Gave it to the lady who served me and she said she would sort it for me. Off I went on my merry way. Same phonecall with Nationwide girl this morning - she said that lady in branch never changed it despite me giving her the form, so she did it for me then over the phone.

Now can you see why I am annoyed?
  • SophieK2
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    Someone tried using it THIRTY times and you cant see why they might consider that a security risk?

You "couldn't be bothered" to call them at midnight but complain when they dont call you at midnight?

I can only imagine the complaint you'd be posting here if it was attempted fraud, it eventually got through, and you were put in overdraft as they took all your money out.

"i havent got much money, its my only card, it should have been obvious fraud was going on with 30 attempts, and yet they allowed my account to be cleared out.. Im really fed up with nationwide"

or, "can you believe Nationwide called me up at midnight just because my card was wonky. Because of them waking me up I woke up late next day, was sacked, got thrown out of my parents house for not paying the rent, became a drugs mule to finance my impoverished state and now am in a Singapore jail for 30 years and its all Nationwide's fault."

Your previous issue, and this one also appear to be the result of you lying to banks about where you live.

Get some perspective.

If there was fraud that I had spotted on my account myself then I can call them myself, on their 24 hour line for lost and stolen. Lol, I have never lied to my one and only bank about where I live.

Get some manners.
  • SophieK2
    Options
    This is the only time I have handed over my card for contactless. They tried to take my card the other day in the petrol station and I said I was doing the contactless and they are not supposed to do it. My brother told me that employees aren't allowed to, not sure if this is true. I always make sure I can see the screen of the PDQ machine so I can see the exact amount too.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    SophieK2 wrote: »
    Gosh didn't realise my post had been replied to, I've worked out how to turn on notifications now. Silly me.

- No they did not advise why the card was cancelled beyond "security reasons", so for those of you with your snide replies, does this mean I can just never use any kind of online shopping again? Because I would seriously like to be able to shop online as I currently live in a rural location, without fear of my card being cancelled at random every few months with no proper explanation.

No, what more explantion do you need than "security reasons"? There's multiple things that could trigger it, and a computer system will decide whether or not the intersect of all those warrants cancelling it / calling you. They are not going to issued a detailed report on why. Apart from anything else that would itself lower security

- Well yes, when I'm standing at the till trying to pay and can't leave the store because I need my groceries for my dinner, then it is kinda of desperate isn't it? I eventually had to wait 45 mins for my brother to drive to the store and give me cash (thankfully) so I could actually pay and leave. I didn't have enough cash in my purse. How on earth do you think I felt?!!

Why does it matter what you "felt". Thats up to you how you "feel". (Unless you felt like a twit for not having an alternate means of payment be that cash or a different card)

- "I don't live at the address i tell them" as I can't trust my parents not to open my post, so it gets sent to my granny's. My parents will open my post and then pretend they did it accidentally. They are extremely nosy. Congratulations to all of you living your perfect, independent, money-filled lives in your own house, having parents you can trust.

This is all very heartbreaking but absolutely zero to do with your bank.

- I have gone paperless, but sometimes Nationwide sends other paper documentation out. If I had cancelled my card myself then I would have known to look out for it at my granny's house/she would have called me.

So you are quite happy for money to be siphoned out of your account until you notice it and then expect, despite Nationwide potentially being able to stop it earlier, them to cough up the cash? You wont be expecting to carry the can, right?

And since the first time you are most likely to notice fraud is when your card is declined as youve got no money, you'd be back in the exact same position of having no money and everyone needing to know how you feel.

- Point taken about the back up card, but to be honest I didn't think this was going to happen again after the first time in England

You though technology was 100% perfect ?

- There's no "multiple and inconsistent" addresses, wherever you're getting that from. I've had 2 addresses only. My parents' and then my granny's. My granny's address has been used on the account since 2007. I lived in 6 different houses in England and was advised not to change it for any of those as some of them were for less than a year (e.g. university halls), which is fair enough.

But still want to complain when they send to your NI address or expect them to be psychic and know what address is convenient to you at that precise date?

- Yes, I've had the same mobile and email address for 10+ years so absolutely no reason why they can't contact me.

- I didn't call at 11.30pm at night because a) that's crazy and they're not open and b) I thought I would wait for the Visa thing to resolve over the weekend in case that's actually what the problem was.

So the victim of unfortunate coincidence. Why make such a song and dance about it

!!!! happens.

I still haven't received my new debit card, I fully understand it can take 7-10 working days but because they had originally stated 2-3 days I thought it would be here by now. I checked my mobile banking app this morning and saw a new card listed, with the expiry date 05/23. This means that my card was actually cancelled in May.

Called Nationwide this morning and the girl said my card was cancelled by them on 10th May. I asked her how it was possible that I have been using my card issued last summer since then. She said there is a 21 day cover period before the new card arrives. Which took me up to 31st May. Which means when my card wouldn't work on 1st June, then it wasn't the Visa saga, it was my actual card. So that's that part solved.

OK so it seems your card went missing in the post or they screwed up. So, 50% chance this issue only is on Nationwide.

The part that is not solved is why, when my card was cancelled by Nationwide on 10th May, I still don't have a new one. When I phoned on 4th June to ask for an explanation they didn't mention ANYTHING about it being cancelled on 10th May (so I thought it was since 1st June), and they told me they had issued the new one that morning. When I had been in branch they said they could see the new card on the system, and I can now see it appear on my banking app.

Girl on the phone this morning said card was NEVER issued on 4th June and she can't see anything on system. Actual new one being sent today, will take 7 working days.

When I was in branch last week I asked them to change my address as my granny is starting to have memory problems and it's one less thing for her to worry about if I don't get any banking post sent there. The guy who served me didn't actually bother as I found out when I got home. 2 days later I went in to get cash out to tide me over and bought along the "change of address" form filled in. Gave it to the lady who served me and she said she would sort it for me. Off I went on my merry way. Same phonecall with Nationwide girl this morning - she said that lady in branch never changed it despite me giving her the form, so she did it for me then over the phone.

Now can you see why I am annoyed?

I can about the latter stuff, yes. And, yes i think you are owed an apology for that.

None of that was mentioned in your initial rant or your unrealistic expectations regards what nationwide should do about fraud, such as just letting it slide until you notice it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure