Santander approved application, then blocked account

Options
I got approved for a Santander credit card last week and, once I received my card in the mail, I applied for a current account as well, for which I got approved immediately. Following that, I deposited £1000. I also requested a balance transfer, which was something I asked for in the application process but the limit they gave was lower than my ask so I requested one based on 95% of the approved credit limit.

I set the payment method for some online services I use to the new credit card and last night I tried to make a payment, which was declined.

This morning I tried to login to the app and was told to contact the Helpdesk. They ended up redirecting me to call 01908 343925, who I now understand to be the Application Fraud team. They told me to go in branch with passport, pay slip, bank statements. I now have to wait 48 hours until "they'll be in touch".

Have I been flagged for something or is it just a common occurrence to be approved for a card and account and then have id verification done. Only thing that I can think of is that some of the online subscriptions I use are in USD, so those might have blocked $1 or so each time. Thoughts?

Comments

• maxximus75
    maxximus75 Posts: 555 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Most providers scrutinize new accounts and the smallest thing can raise fraud flag.

The $1 subscriptions are the most likely culprit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure