PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buyers survey told to enquire about building regs

Options
Our buyers homebuyers survey has advised to enquire about building regs as the previous occupant added a bathroom window in 2001. We bought in 2006 and our survey didn’t bring this up, which was also a homebuyers survey.

Is this likely to be an issue? I’ve seen mention of an indemnity - is anything likely to be needed after 17 years?

Comments

• Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The buyers and their solicitor may insist on an indemnity policy, or they may not. If there are no building regs for the addition of the window I suspect they will insist.

However, unlikely to be very expensive.

Selling property these days is one big paper trail.
  • ashe
    ashe Posts: 1,557 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks. My solicitors say this isn’t required as the regs came out in 2002 for windows but it was installed in 2001, buyer says that it will still need them due to creating a new opening etc - I will leave it to his solicitors to discuss with mine if the policy is needed
  • Surrey_EA
    Options
    When you say added a window, can you clarify whether there was an existing window that was replaced in 2001, or if an entirely new window opening was created?
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You have four basic choices.
    1. Buy the indemnity to keep him happy.
    2. Try and educate him.
    3. Tell him to buy his own indemnity.
    4. Tell him where to shove it, you're remarketing.

There's a reasonable chance 2 and 3 will have the same end effect as 4.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    You have four basic choices.
    1. Buy the indemnity to keep him happy.
    2. Try and educate him.
    3. Tell him to buy his own indemnity.
    4. Tell him where to shove it, you're remarketing.

There's a reasonable chance 2 and 3 will have the same end effect as 4.

If by "reasonable" you mean 50/50, then I'd agree with you. It's probably also reasonable to conclude that if a buyer is going to get spooked by the absence of a meaningless piece of paper, the purpose of which is mainly to cover someone's @rse, then they're also likely to be spooked by some other trivial aspect of the process, leading to a fraught, and probably fruitless attempted sale process.

Therefore them pulling out of said process is probably no great loss.
  • ashe
    ashe Posts: 1,557 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    The buyer is pretty sound in general and has said it isn’t a deal breaker, he is just enquiring for his own curiosity and completeness.
  • Surrey_EA
    Options
    ashe wrote: »
    The buyer is pretty sound in general and has said it isn’t a deal breaker, he is just enquiring for his own curiosity and completeness.

Does your buyer need a mortgage?

If yes, then it may not matter what the buyer himself thinks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure