DD's accountability thread

Options

Comments

• DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So, we (I) have been super busy!

I got my car insurance for £493 - existing company. They matched a deal I found for them on a comparison site, the key difference being slightly lower mileage (accurate) and adding my husband as a named provisional driver. I was really pleased with that, as I'd budgeted £500!

Secondly the convention; worked in the Notts office so most of the mileage is being claimed on expenses :D, then set up on the Friday night. I'll admit to thinking that I had way too much stuff and we needed an extra table, but we made it work. We had a really busy day on Saturday and it was knackering but so worth it when we counted up. We couldn't believe it! Then on Sunday we had another good day, though it was quieter, and my big ticket item went so I am very pleased with that. I came home with a fraction of what I took, and paid £2734.50 into the bank today. :eek:

The money is obviously a very important thing - especially on this site - but it really is a lovely convention. The people are amazing and so inclusive; many attendees have mental challenges such as anxiety or autism, and yet there's no judgement, everybody is welcoming and it's just an amazing thing to be part of. I'll stop gushing because if I'm not careful I'll talk myself into going back on the committee. :o

I also won £4.50 on the Euromillions, and sold one of my last horse rugs for another £50 inc postage, but worth it to get it gone. Sometimes it really does feel like money attracts money! I've obviously got a few ponies left to sell (I'm hoping to keep up momentum whilst I'm in the mood) then I need to refresh all the wedding stuff and other horse things. Now that there is a lot more space in the spare room, I'm going to have a good sort out and try to get the rest cleaned up and listed.

Budget wise, because I'd paid my car insurance in full, and some expenses for the convention, I was a bit skint this month so I put a little into the relevant categories but the rest has gone into savings, with £1200 has going to hubby for him to open a help to buy ISA. My car needs a service at the start of November so I've put £200 to one side for that too - nice to have the money there in advance! And to think I was hoping I'd make £500 to cover my car insurance. :rotfl: Savings wise, we're up to £6893.21 including my £500 emergency fund. We're waiting on the £1k top up from the Lifetime ISA, then OH can also put another £1k in if necessary. We still need to keep saving hard, as of course it's not just the deposit but fees/moving costs plus we'll need appliances, but we're well on the way there!

On the subject of house buying, we're planning to put an offer in on house 1. Just need to work out all the details and what to offer. Such a not-British approach, it feels very weird. And of course because we need a 95% mortgage, I'm a bit worried in case the valuation on the house comes back lower than an offer we (hopefully) have accepted. But we'll cross that bridge if we have to, I guess! We wouldn't be moving until next year now - I suspect to any property we purchased - so that gives us more time to save up. I will be due another bonus at the end of January and my husband typically gets something around Christmas too I think, so those could just time very well for us!
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,304 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Wow. What a great result on the sales at the convention :j :j
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • DD265
    Options
    Thanks Beanielou, I am definitely very pleased with that result. I think I said earlier in the thread that I'd priced the lot about £3.5k, then dropped some prices based on actual condition. What I have left is very unlikely to make £750, but I'm confident that I'll finish up comfortably over £3k in total which is just amazing. Makes me wish I had a second collection to sell. :rotfl:

Last night we offered on the house - house 1. It was for offers over, and we offered £2k less than the asking price. Did not expect it to be accepted and we were prepared to go up to £2k over the asking price. Well they only bloomin' accepted it! :D:D:D

I've found us a conveyancing solicitor, just need to do all the paperwork. Then I need to get caught up on my 'how to buy your first house' book by Phil Spencer, as real life is ahead of the book right now. :rotfl: Luckily, that means our next few weekends are now not required for viewings, so I should have a bit of time for reading.
  • Lucifa73
    Lucifa73 Posts: 7,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Congratulations on the accepted offer. You seem to have hit a purple patch!!
    26.2.19/14.1.19: T MC 3629.26/3629.26 : VM 0% 1050/13876.59 : W 0% 100/1485 = 4409.26/18990.85 =25.17%
    28.1.19/28.1.19 Hubs 0% £400/£2,977 =13.44%
    SPC 2019 #073

• beanielou
    Options
    Great news on the offer.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• DD265
    Options
    Thanks both, I'm not sure it's quite sunk in yet. :)
  • DD265
    Options
    I don't have a huge amount to report really.

On the financial front, we're in that mid-month stage where not much happens. The main thing at this point is not overspending. I am hoping to get some things listed for sale this weekend, though we also have cleaning and tidying to do so we'll see how we get on.

I'm getting an unexpected bonus from work at the end of the month; not huge, but good timing as we are going to Dubai for a week in November. That means paying for the cat sitter, plus the boys are due their jabs and my car will want it's service soon, though I have the money set aside for that.

House-wise, I dropped the paperwork off and did the ID checks at the solicitors this morning. I'm waiting to find out who our designated solicitor will be then I can tell the mortgage broker and he can put the application in.

We will have to work out what we'll need when we move in so we can budget for it. Definitely a fridge/freezer and washer/dryer, whether separate or combined. We also need a microwave, though we're hoping that we might be able to get a decent one from Sainsburys when they do the double up Nectar points thing, as we have quite a few points. We might need extra wardrobes (one of 'ours' is built in) but have agreed that we can make do with a clothes rail initially, as it's for long things like coats and dresses. The idea is to only buy the essentials (like appliances) and then work everything else out gradually when we can live with it and decide exactly what we want/need.
  • DD265
    Options
    'Honey, that black bag on the shoe rack with the throws in it... did you by any chance put it in the bin?' 'Err... is it not in the flat? Maybe I did... where are your cleaning gloves?'

Luckily, the bin collection is due tomorrow and we were able to dumpster dive (shared dumpsters for the flats) and retrieve the throws, which are going back through the wash. :rotfl:

We have had a lot of paperwork through from our mortgage broker and solicitor. I'm going to work out which bits are more than just information letters (i.e. specific to our purchase or forms we need to fill out) and print those, then we need to go through the whole lot. I know it's been recommended that we do an additional search to do with coal mining, but it's <£30.

Our mortgage application hasn't been approved but it's looking like £771 per month at a fixed rate of 3.76% for 5 years. OH is a bit miffed as it's over the £750pm limit we'd set, but it's the base rate rise that's done it. If we could scrape together another £8k we could go in with a higher deposit and lower rate to bring it under, but I don't fancy our chances!

We can afford it, it's just we'll need to be sensible and the repayment rate on the credit cards will be slower than I'd like. I think it'll be a different, quieter lifestyle to the one we have now, but hopefully a very happy and less stressful one. :)
  • beanielou
    Options
    I take it that you have taken into account that the base rate may well rise further?

• DD265
    Options
    Yes we have. By that point we'll hopefully have a better LTV to remortgage with and higher incomes so it should be all good! That's one of the reasons why we set the limit where we did; so that if interest rates went up we could still manage. :)

The plan is that within the 5 years where the mortgage is fixed, we'll pay off the credit cards entirely and build a decent savings buffer. We might end up buying a second car, but it depends where OH gets a job in relation to mine, we might manage with one. Hopefully by that point we'll have encountered and dealt with any house-issues then have money set aside for anything else we anticipate. 5 years is also our deadline for deciding whether or not to have kids (if we don't decide earlier) so we may or may not be factoring maternity in there somewhere too.

I think it's a reflection of my spending habits that I find it easier to absorb recurring monthly costs than I do to save up lump sums - and that's what I need to change. :o
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback