ESA review

Options
Hi, I've been on ESA since it began, incapacity benefit before then.
I'm currently having to fill the forms in, again!
I've been in the support group all the time, but I'm obviously worried that could change with the way things are.
What will happen if they don't put me back into the support group? Will the benefit just end, or will the put me into the work group? ( can't remember the name of it).
Nothing's changed for me medically, but that often doesn't mean a lot, so I'd like to get my ducks in a row.
Thanks

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,960 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi, I've been on ESA since it began, incapacity benefit before then.
    I'm currently having to fill the forms in, again!
    I've been in the support group all the time, but I'm obviously worried that could change with the way things are.
    What will happen if they don't put me back into the support group? Will the benefit just end, or will the put me into the work group? ( can't remember the name of it).
    Nothing's changed for me medically, but that often doesn't mean a lot, so I'd like to get my ducks in a row.
    Thanks
    You can either remain in the Support Group, be placed into the WRAG or be found fit for work.

If you're placed into the WRAG you'll receive less money and if you're claim Contributions based ESA only, then it will only be paid for 1 year and then it stops. You'll then receive NI credits towards your state pension only. If you're claiming Income related ESA then your WRAG money will continue.

If you're found fit for work then your money stops from the date of the decision.
  • shopaholic2
    shopaholic2 Posts: 637 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. Do you happen to know how long decisions are taking at the moment?
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,960 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. Do you happen to know how long decisions are taking at the moment?
    There's no timescales. Most people have face to face assessments, it's rare to have a paper based one.

Once you've had the assessment wait a week and ring DWP to request a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you. This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report. Good luck.
  • Fizzy11
    Fizzy11 Posts: 136 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

I received the results of my son’s ESA assessment in about 5 weeks but he did have to attend.
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 June 2019 at 12:30PM
    Options
    Send in as much relevant evidence as you can along with form completion. I've been in Support group since ESA inception (or soon after rather in my case) too and you've been advised above what can happen. It is possible you'll be called for face to face assessment or they may judge sufficient information. I advise making sure your GP is up to date with your circumstances as there is a reasonable chance they'll contact them to fill in a small form to confirm some basics of your conditions and relevant problems and that might prevent requirement for face to face. As it happens I was in a very prolonged reassessment as it seems Medical assessment company was unsure whether to assess me face to face or not and took instruction from DWP. I have returned from assessment today... 9 years after my only other for ESA.

If you do have a face to face assessment later down the line request a copy of the resulting report the next working day by contacting DWP. That's what I'll be doing as it likely will indicate what the decision will be.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure