Costa Rica - why is no one booking this holiday?

Options
A friend and I have booked this holiday for the end of March 2019. We booked in October 2018. It seems a reasonably priced holiday, to us, for a long haul destination. However, on talking to the travel company recently it transpires that nobody else has booked this holiday at all yet apart from us and we were asked if we would still wish to go if we were the only people travelling! (I expected them to have a minimum number for travel but does not appear to be the case) We are now wondering why the lack of interest or if there is an obvious drawback with the holiday....is there something we don't know about??? Just a bit concerned now.

Also any tips or hints on stuff to do, places to go from anyone who has been recently please? And how safe does it seem for two single women who like to travel about independently rather than on group sightseeing trips?

Thanks

https://www.travelone.co.uk/destinations/costa-rica

Comments

• frankie
    frankie Posts: 845 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is it the start of the wet season? I'm pretty certain its about that time.

Try googling 'best time to visit Costa Rica'
  • stewie_griffin
    Options
    We went at the beginning of April in 2016 and it was still the dry season so March would be fine. The wet season is typically May to mid November.

The only time we experienced rain was at Monteverde cloud forest and that was just a 10 minute downpour.

We went before there were any direct flights from the UK so it's easier to get to now. I'd highly recommend Costa Rica as a holiday destination as there's so much to see and do. Plus it's great value for money.
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,906 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks....my understanding is that March/April is just before the start of the rainy season....

stewie_griffin - was humidity a problem when you were there and can you remember what the temperature was roughly. Also...are mosquitos a problem??
  • in_my_wellies
    in_my_wellies Posts: 1,647 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 22 January 2019 at 6:22PM
    Options
    Mir! wrote: »
    Also...are mosquitos a problem??

My son went. An incredibly environmentally friendly country with high standards of care for the people and the environment. He said they had virtually eliminated mosquitoes through an awareness campaign - clearing away all containers which can hold stagnant water which is the breeding ground for them. He said the population keep this up making it a very clean and tidy country. He travelled alone using buses and hostels and founds it safe and friendly. He travelled in the highlands, not near the coast
    Love living in a village in the country side
  • stewie_griffin
    Options
    It probably depends on where you stay. We were fairly central and had no problems with either humidity or mosquitoes.

We stayed at a fairly high altitude so temperature wise it was only around 20 degrees but it heated up quickly the further down you went. I'd say most days were mid to late twenties but it was hotter out towards the Pacific coast.

We went just as a couple so not part of a larger group and never felt unsafe. As long as you're sensible then you should be fine.

It's an amazing country and we hope to go back soon. If you love wildlife, nature, beaches and history then you'll love it.
  • Teahfc
    Teahfc Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 22 January 2019 at 11:40PM
    Options
    Have travelled to many countries on many continents and every time say beyond the U.K. the most amazing place I have ever visited to date is Costa Rica.
    "Man invented language to satisfy his deep need to complain."

''Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.''
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,286 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A friend and I have booked this holiday for the end of March 2019. We booked in October 2018. It seems a reasonably priced holiday, to us, for a long haul destination. However, on talking to the travel company recently it transpires that nobody else has booked this holiday at all yet apart from us and we were asked if we would still wish to go if we were the only people travelling!

https://www.travelone.co.uk/destinations/costa-rica

The website no longer gives a price for this, so perhaps they have stopped selling it for some reason. (Maybe the "reasonable price" means they lose money on it, which might explain them encouraging you to cancel.)
  • Miró
    Options
    The website no longer gives a price for this, so perhaps they have stopped selling it for some reason. (Maybe the "reasonable price" means they lose money on it, which might explain them encouraging you to cancel.)

???? If you scroll down there are prices visible....teeny tiny writing tho!
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,286 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ???? If you scroll down there are prices visible....teeny tiny writing tho!

How interesting: they were not showing yesterday. Odd that at the bottom of the page there is a table with dashes for prices, and now they have added another table with actual prices a little above that. I still wonder whether this is some kind of perverse marketing...
  • Miró
    Options
    How interesting: they were not showing yesterday. Odd that at the bottom of the page there is a table with dashes for prices, and now they have added another table with actual prices a little above that. I still wonder whether this is some kind of perverse marketing...

Very odd indeed! I also thought it strange that the table of average temperatures does not bear any relationship to the dates of the holidays offered!! I have travelled with this company once before and everything did seem straightforward, above board and fairly efficient then!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure