PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Solicitor didn't pay our H2B bonus on completion - is this all legit?

Options
Hello everyone!
My partner and I bought our first home two months ago. We both had a Help to Buy ISA, and notified our solicitor in good time to say we wanted to claim the bonus. They quoted a 2x £50 fee to process the two accounts.

We closed the accounts, sent our closing statements to the solicitors, and paid the invoice for the solicitor's fees - what I didn't notice at the time was that they hadn't charged for the H2B ISA processing...

In the chaos of moving I only realised last week that we hadn't received the bonus!

I emailed the solicitor and they found that the bonus was "approved and available for transfer". What they are proposing is to send the bonus directly to our current account (not our mortgage), minus 2x £60 charges for processing (which I assume covers £50+VAT).

I feel slightly confused about the situation and just hope someone can offer an objective view on the situation. In my mind...
  • It's strange that they can pay us the bonus directly, since I thought it had to be added to the deposit on completion - right?
  • It's odd that it's been two months without communication, and suddenly when I query it, they discover the missing bonus.
  • Trying my luck, perhaps, but is it reasonable to ask for the fees to be waived given the delay and inconvenience? It appears they've already done the work to process it, and if I hadn't queried it, I wouldn't have an extra fee to pay (although my bonus would have disappeared into their accounts). Or is this sort of thing normal for Help to Buy?

Just something about it all sounds a bit off to me. Thanks!

Comments

• rtho782
    rtho782 Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They can pay you directly. In theory you usually hand over the 10% deposit at exchange, not completion, so had this happened and you had planned a 90% mortgage, there would have been nowhere else to send the money other than back to you when it paid out on completion.

It sounds like something that just got missed.

You could try asking not to pay the fee, but I don't think you will get far.
  • YogiTeaClassic
    Options
    Thanks for clearing that up - makes perfect sense when you put it that way.

Luckily they've agreed to waive the fee as a goodwill measure so I'm quite happy with how it's all turned out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure