PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Renegotiate house price

Options

Comments

• westernpromise
    westernpromise Posts: 4,833 Forumite
    Options
    You think any price for a house is "too much", Crashy.
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

This rather undermines any credibility you think you may have.
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Mutton_Geoff Posts: 3,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 July 2018 at 9:34AM
    Options
    Denspe wrote: »
    Hello all, after a bit of advice. To give you some context.. viewed house 5 weeks ago, three other interested party!!!8217;s so went in with full asking price of £175k. mortgage valuation came back 14k lower than asking price, went back to EA vendors not willing to lower price. Now home buying report came back with a number of issues (drains, repointing, no party wall in loft) and also surveyor down valued by 24k. Went to see EA a copy of hb report yesterday. Said I would want to get builders quotes but don!!!8217;t see the point of arranging If Vendors are not willing to negotiate. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I guess if there is no room to negotiate we should walk away?

You had two "professional" valuations (surveyors) vs the unprofessional valuation (estate agents finger in the air asking price). You were pressured into offering the asking price by the agents who convinced you that one or more of the three "other parties", who may or may not be a figment of the agents imagination, might be in competition with you.

Since your offer was accepted (which almost always says "subject to contract"), you are carrying out due diligence on your purchase. You now have information to hand that you, nor the agents, had prior to the surveys. I would certainly reduce your offer by some amount, possibly even the full £24k based on the information you have.

If you think it worth paying more for the house because it's your "forever home" or any other reason, then base that increase on the latest/lowest valuation (ie £151k) not on the imagined valuation dreamed up by the agent to lock the vendor into a contract with them.

When the agent bleats, ask them for comparables. And don't go showing them your reports as a means of justification. You are negotiating on your own behalf, have strength in that and don't rely on survey reports to persuade the agent (who doesn't work for you) to lower the price.

It's time to play hard ball. I would start viewing other houses that agent has listed (even if they don't interest you), to send a message that your offer on this place is serious and you're prepared to walk.

For each £1k you save, remember how long it takes you to earn that money after tax. Never look at it as just a small fraction of the total price of the house. Now imagine £24,000 in £10 notes sitting on your kitchen table. That is what you are negotiating for.
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You think any price for a house is "too much", Crashy.

This rather undermines any credibility you think you may have.

Ten emoticons just undermines any credibility you think you may have IMO. Where have I said that "any price" for a house is "too much"? Most sensible people know that many sellers are asking too much for the current market, but there is always a price that a house will sell at ;)
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    24k is 13% of the asking price, so that's not a great valuation. I would give them a price you're happy with, then walk away.
  • Denspe
    Denspe Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks fo all the replies everyone. Still no further forward today. Hopefully have an update tomorrow.
  • Denspe
    Denspe Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Hello everyone, it!!!8217;s been while since my last post. So having trying to negotiate with a price we were willing to pay, sellers came back with a £500 reduction. So we took the decision to walk away. Really is a shame as it was our dream home but not worth paying over the odds. So back to the house search we go.
  • SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    Options
    Hello everyone, it!!!8217;s been while since my last post. So having trying to negotiate with a price we were willing to pay, sellers came back with a £500 reduction. So we took the decision to walk away. Really is a shame as it was our dream home but not worth paying over the odds. So back to the house search we go.

I think you have made the right decision. Although its hard now im sure you will look back in a year or two and be glad!
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Mutton_Geoff Posts: 3,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Well done, it takes nerves to do that. My guess is when the vendors realise there isn't anyone this side of 2019 willing to make any better offer on their house that they will be back to you again. That would be the time to hold firm on your offer, not to "meet them half way" etc. After all, you are a serious buyer having invested money in chasing this purchase. The vendor hasn't spent a penny (assuming a no sale no fee agency agreement).
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. After mortgage valuation we re-worked our figures to pay the difference. Now the homebuyer report has come back we are just not sure this a wise thing to do? £24k is a lot of money. Just feels like the house is overpriced. Vendors seem to think they can get full asking price.

Many still do, hopefully Brexit will bring some people to their senses, or maybe Brexit will go so well for us that a new property bubble can kick off :)
  • MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,054 Forumite
    Options
    I think you made the right decision too. There was too much difference between the valuations and what the offer was. Unless there was something quite remarkable about that house there will always been another one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure