PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Picking the right property help?

Options
13»

Comments

• CarrieVS
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    When I said a 'decent' supermarket, I ruled out those I'd never go to, because for me they might as well not exist. I don't do Tesco for, example ... but I can do Lidl.
    I must confess to being mildly curious as to the criteria that exclude Tesco but have no objection to Lidl.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Wouldn't buy either.

Do you not want to open windows or sit in the garden in summer? Some don't mind noise or get used to it - I absolutely detest it.

The other one may have parking nearby until a family like my sister's with five cars between them move in (they have a large driveway).
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    CarrieVS wrote: »
    I must confess to being mildly curious as to the criteria that exclude Tesco but have no objection to Lidl.
    I knew someone would say that! :rotfl:

Am I allowed no personal foibles? Nothing profound, I just dislike Tesco stores and many of their products, whereas in Lidl I buy a very limited range of things that are better/cheaper than elsewhere.

Tesco petrol bu99ered-up my brushcutter too, causing the only issue in 9 years of use. :mad:

Most of our supermarket shopping is either in Sainsburys or Morrisons, but we also have a good butcher a mile away.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If it had to be one or the other for me, detached wins every time but I would not consider one on a busy road either. Suggest you keep either looking or flipping that coin until it gets it right, OP.
  • CarrieVS
    Options
    I knew someone would say that! :rotfl:

Am I allowed no personal foibles? Nothing profound, I just dislike Tesco stores and many of their products, whereas in Lidl I buy a very limited range of things that are better/cheaper than elsewhere.

Just being nosy.
    I've always found the opposite, personally. Tesco might not be fancy but they usually stock a pretty fair range of perfectly adequate groceries for reasonably good value, whereas whatever I want from Lidl they either don't have it or it's rubbish - nice that you've had better experiences.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    When I said a 'decent' supermarket, I ruled out those I'd never go to, because for me they might as well not exist. I don't do Tesco for, example. Nearest one Crediton.

I can get to Sainsbury's South Molton in 25mins if I push it, but they don't stock some stuff we buy frequently. Similarly, Morrisons in Credton's too limited for a full shop.

Barnstaple's 40 mins, tractors permitting, and so is Tiverton and Okehampton, give or take 5mins. Bideford is slightly longer, but I can do Lidl Torrington and call in at RHS Rosemoor as well on the way home! :D

At least there's plenty of choice, and Exeter comes into that too.

Thanks for that. I know every one of these areas very well :D
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    CarrieVS wrote: »
    Just being nosy.
    I've always found the opposite, personally. Tesco might not be fancy but they usually stock a pretty fair range of perfectly adequate groceries for reasonably good value, whereas whatever I want from Lidl they either don't have it or it's rubbish - nice that you've had better experiences.
    Sorry, I answered this but lost the post somewhere....

I agree, Lidl is hopeless for many items and continuity of supply is an issue too, but their stone baked rolls and ice cream are the main reasons I go in there. They're an add-on really.

As a teenager, I worked in Tesco at weekends, where I witnessed many 'interesting' things, but that was so long ago, it's not terribly relevant. Anyway I expect they have CCTV in the warehouse now! ;)
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I am a first time buyer and have found two properties that we like and have put offers in for both. I was going to go with the one that accepts the offer but they have both accepted the offer so I need to make a decision quickly.

The first property was 165k but he has accepted 159. This house is a traditional semi with everything perfect except that it is next to a busy main road dual carriageway. Its been triple glazed and so the sound is reduced but you can still hear it a little which is a concern.

The other house is a newer property, was 150 but accepted 146. Its detached with large garden in a peaceful countryside location. The thing that isn't perfect with this one though is that all the houses in the cul-de-sack don't have drives so instead I would have to park on the road 30 second walk back to the property.

I have to pick one of these but its really hard to decide based on the above.

Any thoughts / advise would be gratefully appreciated.

Wait until after Brexit for bigger bargains.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I certainly wouldn't live next to a busy road, the fumes for a start :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts