PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Question about renting

Options
I’m just about to complete on a commercial property in Bristol, our property broker managed to bring the rent down from £75,000 PA to £40,000 PA which leads to my question.

My question is… I’m looking to rent a house for the first 6months while I’m in Bristol to get a feel for the area. How realistic is it to negotiate the rent?
At the moment one of the properties I’m looking at is £600 per month, it’s got 2 double bedrooms, fully furnished with a garage and garden. I’m from the south and that’s already stupidly cheap in my book. Is it worth trying to bring the agent/landlord down on the rent and by how much?

Comments

• claire123
    claire123 Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    hmm never tried this. I suppose it's a case of supply and demand. around here good propertys are snapped up pretty quickly so doubt they would negotiate. I suppose if its been empty for a while they might but there is nothing to stop them putting the rent up after 6 months.
  • clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    Options
    offering 6 months rent in advance at a cheaper pcm amount might work !
  • kit
    kit Posts: 1,678 Forumite
    Options
    It would depend how long it has been empty for..... always try to negociate the rent if its empty and losing them money..... generally you will get a discount.

Edit - if you want even cheaper rent, come to Weston-super-Mare and commute to Bristol!
    2012 wins approx £11,000 including 5k to spend on a holiday :j
  • sarah_elton
    sarah_elton Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When I rented the flat I took was advertised at £550 and I said I'd pay £525, they accepted that.

That was what other similar ones were advertised at so I wasn't prepared to pay over the odds. When you start looking you'll get an idea of prices. But never hurts to ask and I've never heard of any rule against negotiating it. :)
  • sarah_elton
    sarah_elton Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    clutton wrote:
    offering 6 months rent in advance at a cheaper pcm amount might work !

And yep, agreed. My mum sold up and rented while looking for a place to buy so had the money in the bank. She got a discount by doing this that was well above the interest she would have earned.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure