PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

When to put house on market

Options
2»

Comments

• Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I wonder how that conversation would go? "I'm charging you more to cover the costs of a contract I entered into".

Why should the purchaser pay the sellers costs? Assuming some equity, then if the OP is not in a position to port the mortgage then surely it should be they that take the hit?

Exactly, most buyers now are not in a position to give "Top Ups" on price, more likely they will be looking for deeper discounts.
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Mutton_Geoff Posts: 3,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    amandacat wrote: »
    Hi, thanks for your replies. The ERC is going to be far more than I’d want to lose for the sake of waiting a few months.
    My property is likely to be a first or second time house purchase for someone. I’m moving into rented when I move as I’m relocating with work and want to get a feel for the new area before buying plus trying to view houses from a distance will be a nightmare so trying to sell and buy simultaneous isn’t something I really want to do, particularly as I don’t know the new area at all.
    Sounds like maybe waiting until April will be wise.

I believe some lenders will allow you to pause the mortgage before porting in these circumstances. Have you spoken to them about this at all or just assuming the ERC is due?
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • reveller
    reveller Posts: 12 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd just list it and have August mentioned in the description.
  • itmakessense
    Options
    Market now and advertise completion in or after August. Depends on house price but SDLT threshold will probably change in April so market will pick up as some buyers waiting to see. Especially buy to let.

You have time to find a good solicitor too. most important and don't listen to agents trying to sway you to do what they want you to do.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Market now and advertise completion in or after August. Depends on house price but SDLT threshold will probably change in April so market will pick up as some buyers waiting to see. Especially buy to let.

You have time to find a good solicitor too. most important and don't listen to agents trying to sway you to do what they want you to do.

Good advice.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    amandacat wrote: »
    Hi, thanks for your replies. The ERC is going to be far more than I’d want to lose for the sake of waiting a few months.
    My property is likely to be a first or second time house purchase for someone. I’m moving into rented when I move as I’m relocating with work and want to get a feel for the new area before buying plus trying to view houses from a distance will be a nightmare so trying to sell and buy simultaneous isn’t something I really want to do, particularly as I don’t know the new area at all.
    Sounds like maybe waiting until April will be wise.

When will that happen.

I would be trying to time with that rather than an ERC unless you can still commute to the house at least on weekends.

What % is the ERC on asking price with less than 1year to go most will be around 1%/2% on mortgage, some are 5%.

All those are within the wiggle/guess price range anyway

one strategy is to market but at the top end if you get a bite ERC covered if nothing a decent drop to a price to sell around the end of May and have the solicitor work to a end Aug date.
    That does have the its sat there for 3 month issue but a decent cut point firmly to price.

I would be using the time(now till Aug) to watch the market and do a decent more like this analysis monitoring the initial asking, SSTC and sold through pricing, so you know what people are buying and what price.

Priced right it will sell
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport