PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buy a house together, but then donate the shares to my wife

Options
Hi,
I am in the process to buy my first investment property and I need some advice. What I am asking is not new, I heard many persons do it legally, but I am not still sure about what to do. I need to contribute financially to the purchase of the property, but I want then donate my shares to my wife without incurring in any extra taxes. It seems that the best way to do so is to open a joint mortgage and then donate the rest of the shares to my wife, but I am not sure it's as easy at it sounds.
Do you have any advice?

P.S.: I am in touch with a mortgage advisor, solicitor and accountant, but they all give me options, without a clear strategy about what to do.

Comments

• foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You can, you have to fill out a "transfer of equity" form, the lender will need to accept that your wife can afford the mortgage on her own.

If you have heard of many persons who have done this, then speak to them directly how they did it.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you buy jointly, and have a joint mortgage, then any change of ownership will require the agreement of the mortgage lender.

Why not gift your money to your wife and have her buy it in her sole name from the start?
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,427 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can't you just give the money for the deposit to your wife, she buys the property in her sole name and either she takes the mortgage in her sole name or you take the mortgage on a "sole proprietor/joint mortgagor basis?

https://www.financialadvice.net/joint_borrower_sole_proprietor_buy_to_let_mortgage_/zone/900
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure