Barclaycard PPI - How much info to give?

Options
Hey guys,

So I made a PPI claim with Allay months ago and before the deadline had passed. I heard next to nothing back from Allay other than one request for further information. I did receive a few hits back from lenders, the likes of Welcome Finance for instance, but nothing that constituted any refund.

Today I got a letter from Barclaycard. They have confirmed that they are investigating my claim for a PPI refund and that they want further information of my employment status from 2004! They also confirmed that a PPI policy was sold to me in March 2004. Now I can barely remember what happened last week let alone 16 years ago but I am not ignorant enough to know that at no point was PPI explained to me by Barclaycard or requested by me. I am pretty certain that my application was not done in branch (not sure if online applications existed back in 2004!) therefore no one actually explained PPI to me.

In 2004 I was in contracted work with a 12 month contract under an umbrella firm that I created myself. So technically self-employed. Barclaycard have asked for all kinds of information on this employment from sickness and redundancy packages to whether I considered myself to be in Full time employment or self-employed. They are almost asking me to dig my own hole and jump into it so I was hoping someone might be able to give me a few pointers on how best to respond or whether not to respond at all as they have pretty much admitted guilt?

They have my correct address at the time PPI was sold as well as the firm who were employing me but that is about it. Surely if no one explained PPI cover to me or I requested it then this in itself is all they should need to know?

Any advice gratefully received. :money:

Comments

• brettcta
    brettcta Posts: 4,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 29 January 2020 at 5:58PM
    Options
    First off, they haven’t admitted guilt - having PPI isn’t cause for an automatic refund.

Secondly, you tell them the truth. You can go down the route of radio silence but this may harm your complaint as they will assess it based on whatever records they hold from the time. You’ve stated a very weak complaint point given that it was essentially a non-advised sale, so you’ve either signed up online or they’ve sent you leaflets and you’ve opted in to it either at the point of sale or shortly afterwards.

PPI wasn’t added without knowledge, this is a CMC-sponsored myth so I wouldn’t worry too much about this. You not remembering signing up for it is not the same as the bank sneakily adding it on. It was also listed on each and every statement which carried a balance (I.e. wasn’t paid in full each month) so not knowing about it is a moot point because it was there in black and white every month.

If you’re asking for pointers on what to say that isn’t the truth, this is fraud and should be avoided.
    helpful tips
    it's spelt d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y
    there - 'in or at that place'
    their - 'owned by them'
    they're - 'they are'
    it's bought not brought (i just bought my chicken a suit from that new shop for £6.34)
  • Bermonia
    Bermonia Posts: 977 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Sounds like OP listens far too much to this guy :money:

They have admired nothing of the sort, supply them with the information they have asked for (to the best of your recollections, if you don’t remember then say so), or keep quiet... but under no means lie to them as any contradiction to the information they already hold will be seized upon.

As already explained your complaint points are ‘flimsy’ to say the least, so expect nothing and you want be too disappointed.
  • SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    therefore no one actually explained PPI to me.

Which doesnt really matter as there will be no evidence to suggest it was or wasnt.
    They are almost asking me to dig my own hole and jump into it so I was hoping someone might be able to give me a few pointers on how best to respond or whether not to respond at all as they have pretty much admitted guilt?

How have they admitted guilt? They are required to find out this information where they find no other evidence that suggests you were missold.
    . Surely if no one explained PPI cover to me or I requested it then this in itself is all they should need to know?

And what evidence exists to back up your allegation?
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No idea why you are going to pay a third party to try your luck at PPI. You should be applying direct to Canadian Square Operations.

You dont dig your own guilty hole, you tell the truth as you remember it.

Sadly you will lose a good chuck of your claim by using Allay.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure