Handing in notice at the end of new role trial period

Options
Hi
I was made redundant but applied for and was offered another role within the company. I have been trialling this role for 3 weeks and have one more to go but I am feeling out of my depth and feel that this role isn't for me.

How do I go about informing my employer of this? Should I speak to someone informally now or do I write a letter of resignation to hand in on that last day of the trial?

Would I then leave straight away?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    It all rather depends on your company. I would speak to them now personally.

I recently had a month's notice reduced down to a week when I didn't want the alternative job that was going to be required to see me through notice (don't think leaving straight away was ever going to be an option as the example it gives to others even though main job had ended) as I'd had some service however short. (plus had to be careful I wasn't paying back all holiday etc)

The new job in the permanent market has two months notice rising to three after 2 years have passed, eek.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    You inform them that the job is not a suitable alternative highlighting why you think it is not suitable.

You should be addressing these issues already waiting till the end of 4 weeks is not the way to deal with trials if there are problem with the suitability of the job.

They can review what may need to be done to make it suitable(if they agree it currently is not suitable)

This could be extended trial, more training, modified job to make it more suitable...
  • mell242
    mell242 Posts: 137 Forumite
    Options
    You inform them that the job is not a suitable alternative highlighting why you think it is not suitable.

You should be addressing these issues already waiting till the end of 4 weeks is not the way to deal with trials if there are problem with the suitability of the job.

They can review what may need to be done to make it suitable(if they agree it currently is not suitable)

This could be extended trial, more training, modified job to make it more suitable...

Thank you. It's only week 3 and I only work 2 days per week. It hasn't been long enough to be fair but the technical sides of the job just do not interest me. It's a new system that my employers know little about and they will really need to get someone in to set it all up. I could then work on the content side (the job that I would like to do).

I also and honestly do not believe my role should have been made redundant and now they are backtracking and asking me to do work that was my old role. I have been there 10 years and feel that I have had enough now.
  • mell242
    mell242 Posts: 137 Forumite
    Options

Also, it does say in my letter offering me the role that ' if at the end of the four week period you do not feel the role is suitable you will be entitled to the statutory redundancy payment offered'.

It does not say during the period if I'm being pedantic. I am giving this my best shot and was genuinely interested in the role but I am not technically qualified for the IT side and our sister company has had a team working on this for over a year! For me, it's just me :-(
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    mell242 wrote: »
    Also, it does say in my letter offering me the role that ' if at the end of the four week period you do not feel the role is suitable you will be entitled to the statutory redundancy payment offered'.

It does not say during the period if I'm being pedantic. I am giving this my best shot and was genuinely interested in the role but I am not technically qualified for the IT side and our sister company has had a team working on this for over a year! For me, it's just me :-(

These situations should be mutually agreed as this is really a form of extended consultation on trying to minimise the impact of the changes.

technically they are wrong with what they said as they can still turn round and say it is suitable even if you think it is not then you negotiate, they may be one of the decent places that won't stop you going if that is what you want.

going forward I think you need to decide what outcome you want from the situation and work towards that.

There may be a case to build that there is a suitable job but that needs you to pick up some of your old stuff and some of the new stuff and they get someone in to sort out the IT/setup side.

You can use what you have said above to formulate a solution that get you a job you create/want and give the company a way forward that is beneficial for them as well.

on the other hand if you just want out you can emphasise that the job is not working you are not qualified and it needs more days than you can do to get sorted... all the things that make it not suitable and don't offer any solutions.

They still have the option to go woops we got it wrong reinstate the old job and start adding stuff to that job.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure