Possible scam? UK IT Tech Ltd?

Options
2»

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You could report it to Action Fraud, if they have had other complaints about the same company it will help them to build a case against them.

https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/
  • craggybuk
    craggybuk Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This is a scam.

No company would phone you up to tell you you had a virus, etc. For a start, they don't have your phone number and won't even know your name.

Always hang up (unless you want to have a bit of fun with them) but whatever you do, do not give them access to your computer.

I'm an IT manager and have seen so many of these scams. I've just started a Twitter account which will hopefully educate people into the dangers of these scams.

Feel free to follow @TechScammerInfo
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Enterprise_1701C Posts: 23,409 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Remove any software she put on the tablet to allow them to remotely access it. It is most likely to be something like Team Viewer, although there is a few others. I may be wrong, but as far as I know there has to be a specific piece of software on it to enable remote access, removing that should lock them out.

There is also Paw Server and Bomgar.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • ChuckMountain
    Options
    craggybuk wrote: »
    This is a scam.

No company would phone you up to tell you you had a virus, etc. For a start, they don't have your phone number and won't even know your name.

Although in this case she rang them.

Still a scamming company though.

Has the OP heard anything more ?
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    craggybuk wrote: »
    This is a scam.

Why didn't you read the original post? If you had, you would have seen that it was the OP's mother that made contact with the company:
    Willfoy wrote: »
    She apparently got their details from Microsoft
    Furthermore, the OP admits that the company resolved the problem:
    Willfoy wrote: »
    They accessed her tablet remotely and fixed the issue so have technically done the job.
  • khela69
    Options
    ahhh... advise please. I have had dealings with this company twice now over two years. I stumbled across them when I was having problems with my computer, I rang what I thought was Webroot for support, somehow my call ended up with these people. My computer was fixed after many many hours of remote work... (not all active btw but lines open) I already had Webroot installed. This was cancelled, replacing with Mcafee. I was told that and shown remotely that my pc was compromised and would come to a grinding hault. ( a virus at the start, I am assuming they meant ip address)Cost £200, I was told at the time I would have two years Mcafee and support for that. After a year I have had to call again as software expiring. The two year offer was not remembered. I am having to pay 250 for a three year support package which I can not afford, have to send a cheque. Am really worried if I don't send the money. I have emailed saying that I can not afford to throw this money away when I can get a 2019 recommended protection for 50 with uk support,,,, any come backs from anyone this last year for this company. Something is just not sitting right. The sales person/technician using a little bullying techniques
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    khela69 wrote: »
    ahhh... advise please. I have had dealings with this company twice now over two years. I stumbled across them when I was having problems with my computer, I rang what I thought was Webroot for support, somehow my call ended up with these people. My computer was fixed after many many hours of remote work... (not all active btw but lines open) I already had Webroot installed. This was cancelled, replacing with Mcafee. I was told that and shown remotely that my pc was compromised and would come to a grinding hault. ( a virus at the start, I am assuming they meant ip address)Cost £200, I was told at the time I would have two years Mcafee and support for that. After a year I have had to call again as software expiring. The two year offer was not remembered. I am having to pay 250 for a three year support package which I can not afford, have to send a cheque. Am really worried if I don't send the money. I have emailed saying that I can not afford to throw this money away when I can get a 2019 recommended protection for 50 with uk support,,,, any come backs from anyone this last year for this company. Something is just not sitting right. The sales person/technician using a little bullying techniques
    Save your personal stuff from your computer, then re-install, then don''t pay for any antivirus from anyone. Tell us which version of Windows you have and the type and model of the PC and someone here will talk you through the re-install.
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure