Clean break order when we have no money

Options
Decree nsi is being granted on 17th October.

We have no assets at all.

We both have small pensions but I earn over twice as much as him and my pension is final salary so is going to scale up. At the moment it’s a teeny tiny pension

I know why you should do a clean break order in theory but it’s a lot of money for me.

We’re fairly amicable and I doubt he’d ever think of stabbing me in the back at a later date
£5000 left to pay on credit cards, down from 40k!!

Comments

• bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It’s worth it to protect your pension. You have no idea how yours and his circumstances and attitudes might change over the years. And either of you might win big on the lottery!
  • jbkmum
    jbkmum Posts: 293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sorry for the delay. Would he be entitled to claim on my pension in 35 years time? I’m 30 and this pension started this year.
    £5000 left to pay on credit cards, down from 40k!!
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Yes. Unless there is an order then there is no time limit on when a claim can be made.

A clean break order made by agreement need not be expensive and could save you a lot of stress further down the line.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Socajam
    Socajam Posts: 1,238 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Ask yourself this question if the roles were reversed, would you be happy if you felt that he cheated you out of his pension?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure