Home insurance for working from home

Options
Hi

Any help would be appreciated please?

I've just been offered a customer service job based at home. I just wanted to ask if anyone knows if as an employee based at home do I need to take out special insurance cover? I cancelled my existing home insurance as I've been out of work and couldn't afford it, so would be looking for a new policy.

Thanks in advance!

:)

Comments

• comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I work from home have a lap top, printer so no high value items. My house insurance knows I work from home and it made no difference to what I paid. The items are not insured by me, my employer does not ask me to insure them so I don't.
  • choccy999
    choccy999 Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. Will look into it.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You need to check each insurance policy for the terms and conditions but most policies allow you to work at home for "Clerical" work only, with no visitors or business stock kept in your house.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • msallen
    msallen Posts: 1,494 Forumite
    Options
    I've just renewed my insurance and got quotes from a handful of different companies - one specifically asked about working from home, and one asked whether the house was typically empty during the day, while others asked no relevant questions. I don't know what difference alternate answers would have made to the quote, but its clear that it varies between different insurers.
  • choccy999
    Options
    stator wrote: »
    You need to check each insurance policy for the terms and conditions but most policies allow you to work at home for "Clerical" work only, with no visitors or business stock kept in your house.

Thanks for the info. Why do insurance, pensions and mortgages tend to be so mind boggling?? :think:
  • choccy999
    Options
    msallen wrote: »
    I've just renewed my insurance and got quotes from a handful of different companies - one specifically asked about working from home, and one asked whether the house was typically empty during the day, while others asked no relevant questions. I don't know what difference alternate answers would have made to the quote, but its clear that it varies between different insurers.

Thank you. Will make sure I shop around.
  • DocQuincy
    DocQuincy Posts: 244 Forumite
    Options
    Also, if you get a quote you like and it doesn't explicitly say clerical use is permitted, call them and ask. I did this and they were fine about clerical use (just ask them to note it on your file). What most of them really want to know if are you having visitors to your property as they won't cover you in the way a business liability policy would.

I actually don't work at home any longer but when I did I would never let clients meet me at my home just in case.
  • trailingspouse
    Options
    I've been running a limited co from our attic bedroom for 8 years, and never had a problem with the house insurance. You have to tell them, but it's made no difference to either the cost or how easy it is to find insurance. This is assuming there are no business-related people visiting you, and no stock kept on the premises. We have two desks, two computers, two printers, a filing cabinet and a book case, and it is purely 'clerical' (in insurance-speak).
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • DocQuincy
    DocQuincy Posts: 244 Forumite
    Options
    I've been running a limited co from our attic bedroom for 8 years, and never had a problem with the house insurance. You have to tell them, but it's made no difference to either the cost or how easy it is to find insurance. This is assuming there are no business-related people visiting you, and no stock kept on the premises. We have two desks, two computers, two printers, a filing cabinet and a book case, and it is purely 'clerical' (in insurance-speak).

You are right, I forgot to mention about stock too. The other thing is just make sure all office equipment covered by your contents.

As an aside, I have an iMac in my office and tried to get it on my contents as a specified item but they said no to that. They do cover items outside the home but not for business.
  • partykiller3030
    Options
    I've heard that in this case people need special insurance, but it will be better if you ask your superiors about it to avoid all the misunderstandings. It's really cool to work from home, so, good luck.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback