TalkTalk to charge for blocking anonymous calls - MSE News

Options

Comments

• DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    We have a phone set which incorporates BT Call Guardian (their implementation of TrueCall). As per LadyDee, unless the number is in our VIP list then at best the caller gets a prompt to announce themselves, whereupon we have the option of accepting or rejecting.

Some types of call are automatically rejected - it all depends on what "rejection" level you select.
  • SpanishBlue
    Options
    aj23 wrote: »
    Register with the TPS. All our nuisance calls stopped. You may have to re-register after 12 months.

TPS will stop most (but not all) nuisance calls that originate from the UK. It doesn't unfortunately stop scammers from abroad.

Once registered with TPS, you shouldn't have to re-register again.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 22 October 2018 at 6:30PM
    Options
    I have found TPS to be pretty ineffective at stopping the nuisance calls.

A far more effective way is the Truecall device like the BT8500/8600, as others have mentioned.
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 November 2018 at 2:05AM
    Options
    TPS only stops marketing calls from legitimate UK companies. Expecting anything more is delusional.

To get rid of other calls, different steps are required. The most effective, as others have noted, is to get a trueCall unit, get a handset with trueCall built in, or change to a provider that offers trueCall facilities built into their network.
  • Tawny_Owl_2
    Options
    I've just discovered that this £2 charge has been slapped on my bill.

I'm furious that TalkTalk never communicated this price increase to me beforehand. :mad:

So I've cancelled the service, complained to their call centre and they've agreed to refund me the £2.
  • beardiedog
    Options
    Tawny_Owl wrote: »
    I've just discovered that this £2 charge has been slapped on my bill.

I'm furious that TalkTalk never communicated this price increase to me beforehand. :mad:

So I've cancelled the service, complained to their call centre and they've agreed to refund me the £2.

My brother didn't get the email either. He did the same though it took quite a bit of convincing to get a refund.

I did get the email and so cancelled beforehand, plus I'm cancelling redirect and the unlimited calls boost as well. It's far cheaper to use my mobile.

So they've lost £14 a month from me.
  • paul2louise
    paul2louise Posts: 2,426 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I just discovered I am paying for these unwanted services. Very sneaky talktalk
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    They've got to cover their promise of no in-contract price rises somehow.
  • onefurlongout
    Options
    I didnt get the email either.

Any ideas what it says/ what are my options
  • TalkTalk
    TalkTalk Posts: 1,948 Organisation Representative
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi onefurlongout,

If you have the service active, you can remove this easily via My Account by clicking 'My services', then 'Manage home phone Boosts'. You'd just have to make sure the box is unticked next to Anonymous Caller Reject.

We do also have a free security feature called CallSafe, which helps stop unwanted calls from reaching you; you can find out more about this via our help page. Please don't hesitate to drop us a line via Twitter, our Online Community or by using the chat function on our website if you have any questions.

Thanks,
    Becky - TalkTalk Social Team
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure