How many is too many?

Options
13»

Comments

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi,

Hoping for some solid advice.

I moved to the UK about two odd years ago, and was hard pressed to find that my financial credibility in my country of birth counted for less than nothing in the UK. So with much difficulty, I started the process of building my credit profile and score from scratch. I'm very proud to say that as at the beginning of this year - my scores at all the agencies are in the range of Good. Yay!

My question is that along the way to building my score I got a capital one card, an amazon new day card, an AMEX, and a Barclay card. I don't hold any balances on these, and the limits with the exception of AMEX (GBP1500) are ridiculously low. I'm wondering whether I should keep all these cards active or look to increasing the limit on one of them and then close the rest? The logic here, is that I don't want my score impacted, and for future credit checks I want credit providers to know that I manage my available credit well. I also assume that a closed credit card account does not look "good" to credit providers?

I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions. Sorry about the longwinded mail!

Thanks!

M

Credit providers do not look unfavourably on closed credit cards and having lots of cards does not necessarily improve your chances of being offered favourable rates on applications or new credit cards. The score does not matter and is much overrated. Just manage the cards you do have well by paying them off in full each month and don't keep applying for new credit.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • johnbhoy10
    johnbhoy10 Posts: 452 Forumite
    edited 13 January 2019 at 6:31PM
    Options
    Lots of bank accounts, debit cards offer rewards. I have a 123 Santander account and usually accept the cash rewards which come up every month on various retailers. Halifax and Nat West also offer rewards as does Lloyds Club accounts.

I don't have an issue with people choosing to use credit cards for cashback/rewards etc and do it myself with the JL partnership card and Santander 123. When it does become an issue is when people think the credit limit means they can spend up to that and then get into difficulties with repaying it. If you have financial discipline then it is not an issue but sadly there are lots who use it as the easy option to buy things when they really cannot afford them.

Don't disagree with a word you're saying there and i obviously know about a Santander 123 as i think my dad has one however i think they charge a small fee per month whereas Amex (for mine anyway) are free when you clear balance every month. I also refuse to do any business in future with Santander who in my opinion are a hideous outfit!!

Fair point too about credit limits too but to honest with you i would question someone having a bank account never mind cards if they're running limits to the max!! Surely overdrafts on some accounts can cause similar problems??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure