PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style Daily Thursday 9th August 2018

Options
This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning

Comments

• Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning everyone :wave:

I had a lovely time with my niece and nephew yesterday. They were really kind and wouldn’t let me pay for anything. We had a great day at two different seaside towns I haven’t been to for a number of years, and lunch and afternoon tea out. Both of the places we visited I last went to in the late 1970s/early 80s. We then went back to my brothers for a drink in the evening and then he ran me home.

Back to reality today, and some serious housework. I need to do some shopping for a few fresh bits and pieces, and will probably go out and get that very early before it gets too busy.

Gers it sounds like your mum is settling back into being at home, I hope that she continues to make a good recovery.

RosyRed it sounds like you have been busy. I’m sure that you will find the extra freezer space invaluable. I couldn’t manage without the second freezer.

Snoozer enjoy your time in Yorkshire. Hopefully giving up work again will do your husband good and give you both the opportunity to relax a bit more.

TA I hope that your OH had a better day yesterday, and he is settled on the new ward now.

AOD doughnuts for breakfast sounds ideal to me, :D I hope that you enjoyed them.

Nannywindow sorry to hear that your dad has returned to being miserable again :(.

I hope that you all have the best day possible everyone.
  • nmlc
    nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning everyone

hollyharvey - thanks for starting us off x

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Dull, cloudy and overcast - it has been raining during the night and we're forecast for rain on and off most of the day - we'll see.

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit, will wake him shortly.

Dinner last night was roasted chicken pieces, mash, carrots, broc, peas and gravy for the menfolk. I had the chicken (no skin), with caponata (peppers, courgettes, onion, carrot, cauli, green beans, squidge tomato puree, red wine vinegar, splash of water, saute until veg cooked to your liking) had a massive pile of this with the chicken managed to eat it all so now have to decide what I'm having tonight. As you can probably tell I'm back to more healthy eating aiming to lose around 1 stone if I could lose 1/2 stone before our holiday at the end of September I'd be really pleased. Tonight I may have something with fish.

Work yesterday started very slow, but then went manic with lots of customers with complex enquiries and we still had people coming in as we were about to lock the doors. I'm now on days's off, but working Saturday. I have the usual "to do" list today so will work my way through it doing what I can.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,033 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning everyone.

Roads are all open again so we are no longer marooned.

This morning DM's cleaner is coming so I've got things ready for her - she takes the rubbish out first thing so it's all bagged up. I'll probably go out for a while later.

I also need to start to focus on work again, there's staff / courses to allocate and my own time to sort out.

My thoughts are with all those here who ate faving challenging times. Folks here have really helped me through the last five weeks, huge thanks.

Happy Thursday to all.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Morning :)

Bella you made me laugh with your mums request for G strings. Sounds like a very with it lady to me :D You reminded me of a conversation I had when mum shopping on Monday. "I need some party liners" Dont you mean panty liners? "i dont like calling them that Party liners sounds so much better" So party liners they are then
    Such a nicer way of describing them than her alternative choice of pee pads ......ewww

Cracked through a fair bit of work yesterday and swapped lunch out for early tea. I wanted to try the meerkats meal voucher so we gave Frankie and Bennys a go. Haven't been for years and lets just say whilst there was nothing really wrong we wont be rushing back in a hurry. Quite expensive really even with the 2for1

I think today Im going to do more housey stuff although that might change as e mails start coming in. Asda coming this morning with some essential emergency stocks such as wine and hot dogs :o
    Food wise Im thinking a mahoosive use up ploughmans.

Gers glad your mum is settling back home so quickly you must be ready to go home home soon and sit in that gorgeous garden wit a large glass of something cold. Its been a tough few weeks for you

TAthoughts for Mr TA and please take care of yourself

Have a great day all
  • silver-oldie
    silver-oldie Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good morning all

Thank you for starting us off Holly, pleased you enjoyed your day

GERS good to hear your mum is making a good recovery

TA my thoughts are with you

Went shopping early yesterday morning and then the rest of the day seemed to disappear, not sure what happened.

Today's forecast is for rain, the sky is a very strange colour at the moment.

Hope you all have a good day
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all

Raining here and has been most of the night it will be good for the garden, I think its meant to rain tomorrow too and then be nice again for the weekend :j

Off to work today and it was bouncy castles but I think they may cancel it due to the weather so it should be fairly quiet.

Oven fish and chips for dinner tonight with peas the freezer is emptying nicely although we have had some strange combos for dinner :rotfl:

I have a few phone calls to make today so it will be ideal if it is quiet at work so I can get them done.

Right I had better get on have good days all xx

Gers Im glad mum is home xx

Hus to all in need xx
  • I_Love_comps
    I_Love_comps Posts: 2,295 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper
    Options
    Morning Everyone,

Well today will be very sad for me. The EA is coming to place moms house on the market. I always thought she would end her days in that house, as she has lived 50 odd years. I am sad I cannot fulfil her wish. But unfortunately her illness means she needs 24 hour care.

Thinking of everyone else who needs a hug x
    I am a Senior Ambassador on the Competitions Time Board and the Old Style MoneySaving Board.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.  Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

My Diary Link My Frugal Year 2023 My Frugal Year 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum

My Challenges
    Make £2023 in 2023. £3.16/£2023 Make £2023 in 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum
    Compers Challenge 2023 0 Wins Compers challenge 2023! — MoneySavingExpert Forum

• tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Morning hello.gif[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Congratulations Elona :D[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Gers I'm glad your mum is home :)[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I Love comps Thinking of you, that must bring up lots of memories and emotions xx[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I've been enjoying the cooler weather, I have more energy and am really getting stuck in to things, rather than just doing the bare minimum. I have some washing to sort and the kitchen floor needs cleaning. That'll probably be it for today, mum is coming round for coffee later this morning. She said she needs to moan, so I expect aunt has been making a nuisance of herself again.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]My experience of HMRC lately -[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Online, trying to get an ID to be an agent (all info was from their own Gov.co.uk site). I need a new account, even if I already have an account. It has to be an agent account. So I do this, halfway through it tells me I can do it from my own account if I already have one. So I start filling in the form to apply for an ID – their form, from their site – and they want to know my Agent ID. I don't have one, I'm filling this in to get one. Gggrrr. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Payroll software sent all info of employee leaving, this was accepted by HMRC – I know this because you get a notification saying so. It's impossible to leave info out, it won't send if any sections haven't been filled in. Just had a bill saying no wage details have been sent since March, based on past wages this is what you owe for PAYE/NI. So I ring HMRC, the whole conversation went like this, this is just a snippet - [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]ME - “He's a sole trader, had an employee who started as an apprentice, qualified then stayed on for a few months, left in March and he no longer has any employees”[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]HMRC - “Is he a director?”[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]ME - “No. There is no company – he's a sole trader”[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]HMRC - “And he's just taken on an apprentice?”[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I made an excuse and got off the phone before I lost my temper. I need an old phone for the satisfaction of slamming the phone down, pressing the red button on a cordless one isn't quite the same, lol.[/FONT]

:beer:
    Bulletproof
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Good morning chums and <<hugs >> for the sad and worried, a lot of folk are going through a tough time at the moment and I am thinking of you all and sending good vibes xx

The best thing today is that its grey, overcast and raining Yay I never thought I would be so pleased to see some rain.The local farmers where I am in Kent as in many places have been really going through it with all of the excessive heat so some nice gentle rain all day today is forecast .

Youngest DD is off today and taking her little Maltese terrier for his No 1 trim as he really needs his coat clipping with all the heat we have had and we are all away on holiday next week :)

I am meeting my eldest DD for a coffee in Asdas at lunchtime as she works almost next door I haven't any shopping to buy at least as I am using up as much of my fresh stuff as possible.

Hope everyone has a good day what ever they are doing

JackieO xx
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    bellabella wrote: »
    Nelski wrote: »
    Morning :)

Bella you made me laugh with your mums request for G strings. Sounds like a very with it lady to me :D You reminded me of a conversation I had when mum shopping on Monday. "I need some party liners" Dont you mean panty liners? "i dont like calling them that Party liners sounds so much better" So party liners they are then
    Such a nicer way of describing them than her alternative choice of pee pads ......ewww

My mum calls her party pads Extra Particulars I have no idea i really dont what thats all about:o

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: love it :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport