Goods to Charity - house clearing

Options
13»

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Not a house clearance, but when replaced our suite we offered the old one to a local charity who helped to furnish properties allocated to people who were in dire straights/ex homeless.

The suite was about 8 years old, had fire labels in place, and was spotless - no kids, no dogs, no smokers.

The charity rejected it because 'it wasn't modern enough for our clients'.

We ended up paying over £20 for the big bin men to take it away.
    And this is why my preference would be to get a charity to clear the house, rather than faffing around with one charity taking some but not all, and potentially leaving less 'good stuff' for whoever does the clearance, if that's a charity.

Knowing what we paid for a professional house clearance, next time (if there is a next time) I would very happily let a charity take the lot.

Mind you, that house clearance was worth every penny to us: it was done it stages so that we could leave the house 'staged' while it was sold, and it was left immaculate. Also we knew that they were recycling as much a humanly possible.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,752 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sadly, good quality furniture does not always equate to saleable.
    My grandmother's furniture was hard to even give away because although sturdy and in good condition, it was just too oldfashioned and the usual charity furniture places didn't want it because they didn't think they'd easily be able to sell it.
    We ended up donating to somewhere who provides furniture to those on very low incomes.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure