ESA backdated form?

Options
Hi, Im sorry but I didn't notice the name of the form I received last week but it was to do with money they might owe me when I changed from incapacity benefit to ESA, it was for the period april 2012 to November 2013. It was quite a large form asking a fair few questions. I've tried to google things but I can't get the answers I'm looking for. Do they only send the form if someone is definitely owed any money or is it a just in case you are owed money form? My daughter receives carers allowance for me as she looks after my needs for most days of the week, would that affect the outcome? I am in the support group of ESA, I receive PIP, the enhanced rate for both mobility and care. My Husband also receives pip standard rate for both components.

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 19 June 2019 at 9:04PM
    Options
    They and the form to people who might be owed money so there is no guarantee. That’s why they need to form completed - so they can find out. DWP made a fundamental error when people were transferred from IB and ESA and they are now carrying out an exercise to correct this (following successful legal action taken against them).

When you were transferred you were awarded contribution based ESA. You should also have been assessed for income based ESA.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,964 Forumite
    Options
    People have been sent forms even though they haven't been entitled to any backdated money.

You will need to wait for DWP to assess you and make a decision. Whether you're entitled to any backdated money for that year will depend on your circumstances during that time.
  • Rubyroobs
    Rubyroobs Posts: 866 Forumite
    Options
    I think it's just to check whether people who were in receipt of Contributions based ESA were also eligible for Income related and therefore could have missed out on premiums associated with income related. I have assisted someone to fill one out where they were never entitled to income related as they had savings over 16k for the whole time, I don't think they had to fill out the whole form because it was obvious from an initial few questions asked that they weren't owed anything.
    45002 Posts: 802 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 19 June 2019 at 9:54PM
    Options
    blackcat11 wrote:
    Hi, Im sorry but I didn't notice the name of the form I received last week but it was to do with money they might owe me when I changed from incapacity benefit to ESA, it was for the period april 2012 to November 2013. It was quite a large form asking a fair few questions. I've tried to google things but I can't get the answers I'm looking for. Do they only send the form if someone is definitely owed any money or is it a just in case you are owed money form? My daughter receives carers allowance for me as she looks after my needs for most days of the week, would that affect the outcome? I am in the support group of ESA, I receive PIP, the enhanced rate for both mobility and care. My Husband also receives pip standard rate for both components.

It will be a ESA3(IBRD) they sent you printed on the bottom right hand corner of the form.

DWP are sending out for IR ESA for those who moved from IB to ESA CB, to see if people where entitled to IR ESA on top of there ESA CB.

Do fill the form in and send it back to DWP, you never know ?

Advice given on Assured and Regulated Tenancy, Further advice should always be sought from a Solicitor....
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    These forms should have been sent to all claimants when they were transferred from IB to ESA in order for any potential entitlement to Income Related benefit to be assessed. For whatever reason, that didn't happen. Until the form is returned there is no way DWP can know if there is any entitlement or not.

The only certainty is that if you had savings in excess of £16k for the entire period there won't be any entitlement.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    Options
    The highest entitlement arising from this that I have come across is £12,000 but that was over about 5 years inclusive of a Severe Disability Premium!
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,964 Forumite
    Options
    calcotti wrote: »
    The highest entitlement arising from this that I have come across is £12,000 but that was over about 5 years inclusive of a Severe Disability Premium!
    The highest amount i've heard is £17,000.
  • blackcat11
    Options
    Thank You guys, I've never had savings over £1000 let alone £16000! But I shall just have to wait and see, I'm not sure I meet the criteria for any backdated payment, its good they are doing this though and it must be lovely for those who have received a few grand in back payments.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure