New style ESA contact number (after claim has been made)

Options
Hi,

I applied for new style ESA and had a home visit a couple of weeks ago. I was given a phone number to call to see the progress of my claim if I had not heard anything within 10 days. However the number that I was given was for the old style ESA so when I called I was told to phone the universal credit number as they deal with new style ESA. I called and was again told it’s the wrong phone number and to given a different one. This one was also wrong as the number given to me was for new claims only.

I have searched everywhere for the correct number but the ones I find are the ones I have previously called. Does anyone here have the correct number?

It’s beyond stressful not being able to contact anyone as I currently have no income apart from PIP. I have been off work sick for some time and am no longer eligible for SSP which my employers failed to tell me until I queried my last wage slip which was only £90. I am now having to live off a credit card and accumulating debt that will be virtually impossible to pay back.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/employment-and-support-allowance/esa-glossary/2757-esa-contact-numbers

To contact Jobcentre Plus about an existing contributory, income-related or new style ESA claim or to report a change of circumstances

UK (except Northern Ireland)
    Telephone: 0800 169 0310
    Textphone: 0800 169 0314
    Welsh language: 0800 328 1744
  • buttercup1979
    Options
    Thank you for the info but these are the numbers I have tried and have had no luck with.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for the info but these are the numbers I have tried and have had no luck with.

But are the numbers the DWP itself says you should use

https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance/change-of-circumstances

ESA and ‘new style’ ESA helpline
    Telephone: 0800 169 0310
    Textphone: 0800 169 0314
    NGT text relay (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone): 18001 then 0800 169 0310
    Welsh language: 0800 328 1744
    Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

Try ringing again and see if you get a more helpful operator.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,964 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not sure why because that's the correct number to ring.
  • tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,218 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Currently there is a minimum of 21 working days to process all new style benefit claims.

Too many staff moved to cover UC instead.
  • Rubyroobs
    Rubyroobs Posts: 866 Forumite
    Options
    Its the same as the Universal credit number that you call for new style ESA. Then it will give you the option if your query relates to New style ESA. There is currently a 21 day processing time for claims.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    Options
    tomtom256 wrote: »
    Currently there is a minimum of 21 working days to process all new style benefit claims.

Too many staff moved to cover UC instead.

Gets better and better!
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • buttercup1979
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I did try all the numbers you gave me but I think it must have been the operators fault and I was transferred to the wrong department and then given the wrong number to call.

But I was actually called this morning by DWP saying that they do not have my SSP1 form. Apparently the assessor who came out to see me did not pass it on with my other documents 🙄 At least I know now that the ball is rolling and I was told that once they get that my claim would be accepted and processed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure