Options for re-installing windows

Options
I've been donated two desktop PCs with wiped hard drives. Both have Windows 7 licence stickers on the side. I understand I should be able to reinstall W7 using the correct iso, but ideally I'd rather have W10.

What are my options? Can I install W10 directly, do I have to install W7 and upgrade, or am I stuck on W7?

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If the machines have had windows 10 on them in the past then the digital licences will still be valid. However you will not know this until you try to install 10 and then do the activation because it will fail if there is no licence or if its the wrong version.

You can always build them with 7 and then upgrade them to 10.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You can download windows 10 no problem and activate it with the windows 7 licence key that you have .

Start here : https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Click on ' download tool now '
  • stragglebod
    stragglebod Posts: 1,324 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    AndyPix wrote: »
    You can download windows 10 no problem and activate it with the windows 7 licence key that you have .

Start here : https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Click on ' download tool now '
    This. You don't need to have ever installed Windows 10 (or indeed 7) on the computer before.

I've done this to install Windows 10 on Chromebook using an old Windows 7 license.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    If non of the above work for you, you can run a quick install of Windows 7(no need to look for Drivers etc) and use the gatherosstate method to activate a clean install of Windows 10.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Why would it not work ?
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    AndyPix wrote: »
    Why would it not work ?

Have no idea. Just giving alternatives should it not.
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Sorry, a bit behind here, so Microsoft are allowing all (valid) W7 licensed computers to be upgraded to W10 at zero cost?
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    grumpycrab wrote: »
    Sorry, a bit behind here, so Microsoft are allowing all (valid) W7 licensed computers to be upgraded to W10 at zero cost?

Yep.... you've got it.

The plan is to get everyone to move over, by hook or by crook..
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 22 May 2019 at 7:15PM
    Options
    I've been donated two desktop PCs with wiped hard drives. Both have Windows 7 licence stickers on the side. I understand I should be able to reinstall W7 using the correct iso, but ideally I'd rather have W10.

What are my options? Can I install W10 directly, do I have to install W7 and upgrade, or am I stuck on W7?

Download the Windows 10 installation ISO from Microsoft, create an installation disc. Install Windows 10 using the licence key for Windows 7 and you're good to go. Did this just last week so can confirm its still working. Basically Microsoft want everyone on Windows 10, Windows 7 is heading for a decade old, has more holes than swiss cheese and it costs them money to continue supporting it/securing it and they get no revenue for it any more. Their webpage for creating installation media didn't even ask me for a CD key like it used to do in the past.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure