MSE News: More collective energy switches launch – how do they stack up?

Options

Comments

• razord
    razord Posts: 566 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 24 January 2017 at 12:15PM
    Options
    The Big Deal published the pricing on their blog..

It doesn't look like it's all that incredible of a deal. 13.400p per kwh, rather than 13.467p from their publicly available tariff for me in SWEB.

https://blog.thebigdeal.com/faqs-february-2017-deal-pfp-energy/
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    razord wrote: »
    Seems to be very similar to their tariff "Together - February 2018 - fixed 44", compared with new tariff name "Together - February 2018 - c24-4" with same end date.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • ASavvyBuyer
    ASavvyBuyer Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There is another collective here for the Radio Times
    Looks like another one run by Energy Help Line
  • System
    System Posts: 178,101 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    E-mail just in:

With your help, we've negotiated a very special deal from an extra special company.

The limited offer opens tomorrow... but we wanted to give you a little tip-off first.

Here are the key details of the deal YOU helped us create (thank you!):

It's from Places for People - a supplier we know and trust.

You could save over £160. [1]

Oh - and you'd also enjoy stellar customer service, because we think you deserve the finer things in life...

Just got the tariff details in and my spreadsheet shows an increase of £150 per year compared to the deal that I switched to 5 weeks ago: an increase of 15% overall.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    grumpycrab wrote: »
    Seems to be very similar to their tariff "Together - February 2018 - fixed 44", compared with new tariff name "Together - February 2018 - c24-4" with same end date.
    Yes, this Big Deal would save me a massive £2.26 per year over the fixed 44 version for electricity only. And still only be the 8th cheapest fixed deal available to me.
  • SamNRG
    SamNRG Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    Don't be fooled, this collective tariff from the Big Deal has the exact same rates and cost as Places for People's "Together - February 2018 - fixed 43".

Together - February 2018 - fixed 43 was conveniently removed the day before the Big Deal released this collective tariff by the way.
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    SamNRG wrote: »
    Don't be fooled, this collective tariff from the Big Deal has the exact same rates and cost as Places for People's "Together - February 2018 - fixed 43".
    Yes I noticed this. How come this is touted as a special deal when you can get the same rate going direct to their site?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,101 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    SamNRG wrote: »

Together - February 2018 - fixed 43 was conveniently removed the day before the Big Deal released this collective tariff by the way.

Dont knock it: it might persuade some of the 70% who have never switched to take some action. More savvy switchers will run their own comparisons to see which is the best deal for them on the market based on postcode and usage.
  • MSE_Dan_L
    MSE_Dan_L Posts: 655 MSE Staff
    Options
    Hi all

A quick update on MSE's collective plans. Our Cheap Energy Club mailbox has been swamped with questions on this (especially from those whose current collective deal's up soon).

We're trying really hard but with energy prices rising rapidly, it's tough to get providers to play ball. By next week's email we'll either have a deal, or if not, tell you the best thing to do.

I hope that helps.
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,595 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    Dont knock it: it might persuade some of the 70% who have never switched to take some action. More savvy switchers will run their own comparisons to see which is the best deal for them on the market based on postcode and usage.

Those 70%!believe there isn't any point in going through the hassle because it's just a con and you can't really save money on your energy bills. That abysmal collective deal has just confirmed it to them.

I can't even get my dad to buy energy from the same supplier.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure