Life Assurance Commission

Options
Hi,

I just read the tip on saving on Life Assurance via Cavendish Online. A few clicks later and I had a quote from my current life insurer that was a quarter of my current premium! However I’m a British National currently living in Dubai, UAE, with business travel around Africa and the Middle East (only FCO approved countries).

Does anyone know how much this, if anything would be increasing my premium, or could it be that my FA is just taking a very, very tidy commission?

Comments

• JasonG_2
    Options
    dazman wrote:
    Hi,

I just read the tip on saving on Life Assurance via Cavendish Online. A few clicks later and I had a quote from my current life insurer that was a quarter of my current premium! However I’m a British National currently living in Dubai, UAE, with business travel around Africa and the Middle East (only FCO approved countries).

Does anyone know how much this, if anything would be increasing my premium, or could it be that my FA is just taking a very, very tidy commission?

Hi, it doesnt usually work like that, the commissions are pretty similar. The trouble with looking at a life plan like this is it isn't often like for like. It also depends on the age of the plan as generally life cover has come down in cost and critical illness has gone up. Also beware that some benefits on a plan can be lost never to be regained when chopping in plans. For example critical illness definitions have got harder to claim on over the last few years. Best response honestly. Ask your advisor, and see what response he gives. In my experience it is often the plan is not the same thing. If no satisfactory response, question the advice/ advisor.

Good luck.
    Views expressd are just that, views and opinion, they are not financial advice, as that requires much detail and work and everyone is different. Advice should be taken, in my opinion, from a professional financial advisor. PS. Good luck. ;)
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Different providers also treat overseas locations differently. The length of time you spend abroad and where you spend it will possibly mean that a loading on the premium is possible. How much that loading is will vary across the providers.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure