Car Insurance For International Driver?

Options
Hi,

I have a pakistani international driving licence but i have no idea on how to get a car insurance as most places i look dont seem to do them. I know its possible to drive in the UK with a international licence for a year at least.

Any help or advice would be pefect, also how much will it effect on the final insurance price?
Charles J

Comments

• gizmoleeds
    gizmoleeds Posts: 2,232 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The DVLA has details here - I think once you have a UK provisional licence (which does not require any sort of test) you can get the insurance based on that driving licence number, and you can then drive the car legally for a year on your other licence.

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/drivers/drvingb.htm#5

But check with the insurance company when you apply that it will not invalidate your insurance to drive on your Pakistani licence.
  • talksoccer
    Options
    Yeah i been a citizen in Britian for 18 years, well i have lived here all my life (born in uK) but went back to Pakistan to get my International licence.

Its just that i dont know how it works, will i have to register with the DVLA first to get this working or can i just go to insurance places and get this done with?

Also is it much more difficult to get a international licence insurance then a normal British licence?
    Charles J
  • gizmoleeds
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Am I to assume that it is relatively easy to get a licence in Pakistan?

The DVLA's foreign licence provisions only apply to new residents or visitors. To be honest I don't think you can legally drive on a Pakistani licence you have gotten while on holiday.

As a pedestrian, I hope you can't too :o
  • talksoccer
    Options
    Dont worry i wont go to a place like Leeds ;)

The licence is pretty easy to get but i dont think thats important as i been driving for about a year, its just it be easier to just drive now instead of going through the test procedure here. I also have a pakistani passport as im hoping this will help too for being a international licence.

Just got to look up the insurance quotes, any idea about websites which do it for internatioanl drivers?
    Charles J
  • Johnhowell
    Options
    Charles.

Are you saying that you are driving in the UK for over a year without a UK full licence and Insurance? "it is easy to get" - so get it - IT IS important.

Get off the road - seriously.

Check the DVLC website for International Driving Licences that are valid in the UK - apply for a provisional licence - I think you have 6 months to pass the test - as you say its easy.

I have found that most countries do NOT take International Licences from certain countries - I think it is a international con trick to part with money.

Probably the easiest and cheapest way is to do it the UK route forget the international route - as you are a UK citizen take advantage of it.

Try moneysupermarket.co.uk and enter your details (provisional licence) and see the premium that comes up.

John
  • Sun
    Sun Posts: 326 Forumite
    Options
    As far as I know only new residents and visitors can drive on international driving licence for upto 1 year.

In 1st year, if you commit any offence, you cannot drive.
    All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.
  • talksoccer
    Options
    From what i understand if you have a passport of a foreign country like i do, then you can drive.

I been driving for years and when i went abroad i was driving there too. I had to pass a test there but it was a fairly easy test. I am going through the legal process, i dont see the need to go after a british licence just yet as i just need this for the short term. Then i will go on to take my theory and practical test, to pass that.
    Charles J
  • gizmoleeds
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    talksoccer wrote:
    From what i understand if you have a passport of a foreign country like i do, then you can drive.
    Contact te DVLA and ask them - it is unlikely that anyone who reads this forum will have experience of what is a fairly obscure request, so just email them.

drivers.dvla@gtnet.gov.uk
  • suman_das
    Options
    As far as I know, you can drive on an international licence for only a year of the issue. You need to obtain a full UK licence before the expiry of that licence.
    The insurance is not too difficult. I had an international licence from India. I tried through confused.com, and though many companies refused, I could find one for about £270 from Norwich Union (with £250 excess and no courtsey car) for my Renault Clio. After I had my UK licence, and time for renewal, NU quoted me more, so I had to ditch them to join Liverpool Victoria. Hope this helps.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure