Alton Towers - When to visit

Options
Hi,

I am planning to visit Alton towers theme park from Manchester. I've read reviews and it does not make any sense to visit them on a weekend. I'm flexible to visit on a weekday, but wondering how busy they would be on weekdays in the first 2 weeks of April given School Easter holidays are from 29 March 2018 to 16 April 2018. :o

Comments

• z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Very busy on any school hols.
  • digitpedia
    Options
    Unfortunately it will always be busy on the school holidays. They do offer those Fastrack ticket things that allow you to queue for much shorter times for rollercoasters. Can't remember how much they are though, think it might be £20 each, so not cheap. It's a really fun park though so still worth going.
  • lewishardwick
    Options
    I've found any time after the Easter holidays is going to be busy.

Students on 'study leave' will take full advantage of the free time...
  • sasha007_2
    Options
    So probably going after the Easter holidays, it would not be busy ?
  • susancs
    susancs Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    Options
    We had annual Merlin passes and although we lived further away in London we used to look at the weather forecast and go on a rainy day as there were no queues. We had some Poundland disposable ponchos and wrapped up well. School holidays, when the weather is good means a busy park where you spend more time queuing than going on rides. School inset days are sometimes a good time to go.

If you go on a wet day, you can get free tickets to return another day as well. https://www.altontowers.com/tickets/rainy-day-guarantee/
  • sasha007_2
    Options
    Easter holidays are ending 16th April so probably park would not be busy after 17th April then ?
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    No .
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I went on one of the May bank holiday days once - the other 2 days had forecast for sun, the day I went forecast for rain. It was SO quiet, I got straight on Air (was a few years ago I went) and Nemesis. Short queue for 13 and Smiler, about a 50 minute queue for Rita.

We did all the big rides so went on some of the less thrill rides we wouldn't normally have time for. It did rain a bit, but we still had fun!

So keep an eye on the weather if bank holiday looks rainy, it might be a good time to go!
  • Supersonos
    Supersonos Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    We once booked a hotel etc. and were so annoyed to see the weather forecast was solid rain all day.

But in fact, it rained until about 10am and then the sun came out. The place was empty - it was fantastic! Although it made us realise how little there is to do when half your day isn't filled with queuing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure